I'll never get tired of chainsaw sculptures

Originally published at: I'll never get tired of chainsaw sculptures | Boing Boing

4 Likes

19 Likes

If you would like some mostly male-coded art let me introduce you to wood fired pottery. I say this as a middle aged woman wood fire potter. All the chain-sawing, plus giant pulsing flames, and overnight shifts in the freezing cold.

2 Likes

you make a good point about the entrenched gender stereotypes in the arts and other professions, then the video undercuts your remarks by showing all the he-man chainsaw stuff done by men, and the delicate carving done by a woman. not your fault, just funny how that worked out.

2 Likes

Jackson Pollock is the macho asshole of painters for sure!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Did one of those overnighters at our local Zen center. They had a traditional Japanese kiln built on a slope with multiple chambers, so the heat flowed uphill from the firebox at the bottom. Very nifty.

2 Likes

Macho painters? They’re just alcoholics…

1 Like

Yeah that’s cool but what can they do with tofu?

1 Like

Let’s see them carve those butter sculptures with a chainsaw.

1 Like

Chainsaw art is cool, but there should be a distinct category of artists who ONLY use a chainsaw. This one stops being “chainsaw art” about 5 seconds in.

I was at a county fair when a guy used nothing but chainsaws to do (an obviously less detailed) flying eagle. The whole thing took about 5 minutes!

3 Likes

Not enough credit given to the first chainsaw sculptor:

Yeah, this is roughing out the shape with a chainsaw, then using chisels and die grinders to make a sculpture. Very, very nice, but not the same thing. This appears to be fir, I think chainsaw carvers prefer pine. I used to go to “lumberjack” contests when I was a kid (although in my “neck of the woods” it was “Loggers” TUVM :slight_smile: ) and there’d always be guys making eagles and bears, etc, with chainsaw only. And now, as a loyal Canadian who has entered into discussion of the lumber kind, I am bound by proclamation of the Governor General of Canada to post the following video: https://youtu.be/upsZZ2s3xv8

1 Like

Picaso?

2 Likes

Picasso was a ladies man and all, but he wasn’t the sawed-off badass that Hemingway was.

Hemingway had hands - to use the current pugilistic parlance.

1 Like

I suppose even fighting isn’t necessarily macho - could be a slap fest - or an orange Frappuccino fight - but…

(post deleted by author)

Neither was Hemingway.

Come to Sedro Woolley, Washington State on the 4th of July to see top chainsaw artists at work. (About a 90 minute drive North from Seattle.)