Illinois almost passed a bill that banned devices that record you without your consent -- and then Big Tech stepped in

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/dont-bug-me.html

2 Likes

The frustration for me is that, though I can just decline to buy a smart speaker, or a smart fridge, I cannot just not have a phone.

1 Like

I’m OK without a smartphone, but it’s getting hard to find cars that don’t have microphones.

4 Likes

I dread the day I won’t be able to find an apartment to rent that doesn’t have a Nest cam in it.

2 Likes

I would really like to know if there is a google alert you can set up when legislation takes a major delta-V change in direction like this.

I liked the analysis techniques used in this article here

I am so tired of trying to find a sex-bot without an always connected live stream.

1 Like

I thought half the fun was plugging their security holes?

2 Likes

Every state has its own consent laws, and they’re pretty randomly distributed. There’s always room for improvement, and the FCC could get involved if there was an FCC.

3 Likes

…and no one was surprised.

Time to put the representation in sponsorship outfits like NASCAR to see who they really represent.
How did it get to the point that corporations have all the representation and pay no taxes?

3 Likes

deleted…

Democracy in name only.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.