Illinois just became the first state to make it illegal for cops to lie to kids

Originally published at: Illinois just became the first state to make it illegal for cops to lie to kids | Boing Boing

13 Likes

How about the Cops don’t lie at all, ever. Dreaming, I know…

27 Likes

Especially if you ask them if they’re a narc three times in a row. They’re supposed to tell the truth!

10 Likes

Reading about the William Dassey case in the Wikipedia link post:

On December 8, 2017, the full en banc Seventh Circuit upheld Dassey’s conviction by a vote of 4–3, with the majority finding that the police had properly obtained Dassey’s confession. Circuit Judges Joel Flaum and Amy Coney Barrett (who joined the court after argument in the case had been heard) recused themselves from the case and did not participate in the consideration or decision

Is that why Trump approved of Amy Coney Barrett for the SCOTUS nomination? Because he heard of her on TV?

11 Likes

You know the cops there will never stop lying, and I will be surprised if any of them are ever punished for doing so.

7 Likes

Seems to me, that if police are supposed to be respected, then they shouldn’t lie at all. Respect is a two way street.

10 Likes

“Dad, you’re a cop right?”

“Yeah.”

– Holds up news paper with new law making it illegal to lie to minors. –

“Is the Easter Bunny real? You gotta tell the truth.”

17 Likes

Well, we know he certainly didn’t read about her anywhere.

10 Likes

“I’m off duty, so the answer is yes.”

12 Likes

Does this only apply to interrogations and investigation related questioning? Or does it also mean that they have to end their participation in all community outreach and drug “education” programs?

9 Likes

Cops should be allowed to trick suspects during interrogations, but not to extract confessions, only to find out facts that can be independently verified. If a cop can trick a suspect into telling where he dumped the murder weapon it’s fair, but if a cop promises lenient treatment in exchange for cooperation it should be binding (even if you are not Bill Cosby).

Also, interrogations should be recorded and made available to the defense so they can show the jury if there has been foul play.

5 Likes

Seems to me that this would be a suitable defense if you get caught lying to the police. “Your honor, I can’t be expected to tell the truth to the police when they have no such obligation to me.”

3 Likes

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! BEETLEJUICE!!

3 Likes

Just to kids. In certain circumstances. In one State.

ACAB.

14 Likes

I want a Lawyer Dog.

1 Like

“We already know you did it. We already know how you did it. So you might as well tell us all the independently verifiable facts of what you did that we already know.”

1 Like

like this one?

5 Likes

Oh, new job opportunity: kid lawyers that cops can’t lie to.

Nah— its because the Federalist Society had her high up on their list.

which gives me flashbacks to the tragic interrogation of Brendan Dassey, as shown in Making a Murderer.

When they showed excerpts from that interview… it’s so clear he’s saying whatever they want him to say. Plus, what they got him to say they had to back away from because it contradicted all evidence (or lack thereof) at the scene. (Eg, that he used a knife and there was a lot of blood.)

Hence why I said he approved her for nomination, not that he actually picked her.