Illustrator is drawing every item in his late grandfather's tool shed

You’re welcome! Here’s another guy who did nice illustrations for his own books, and a bunch of other amazing stuff as well. I think his Complete Modern Blacksmith was reviewed on BB a while back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alexander+Weygers&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1397&bih=696&tbm=isch&imgil=CG-LKKU9DkwpNM%3A%3BL1YTAFgxRckgrM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.pinterest.com%252Falexgweygers%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=CG-LKKU9DkwpNM%3A%2CL1YTAFgxRckgrM%2C_&usg=__l0WlOfrvtUgd6i_O2jWRWA2WktY%3D#imgrc=CG-LKKU9DkwpNM%3A&usg=__l0WlOfrvtUgd6i_O2jWRWA2WktY%3D

3 Likes

Some things are, really, more important than money. Stewardship of truely high quality tools is one of them.

People who get that don’t care if they get the money for a tool more than they care if it goes to someone
who will use and appreciate and take care of it. Even restore it. Make sure the right people get them when the time comes.

Like you!

I personally never engrave my own tools with my initials for this very reason- unless it’s one I handmade. I never enjoyed using old tools with huge intials of previous owners stamped into them, it’s unsightly, and alters the tool forever for whomever comes after me. It’s only proper in my mind if you make a tool to have your name stamped into it. Otherwise it’s just abuse of precision instruments. History maybe, but imagine every tool having 20 people’s initials stamped all over it. Eeagh.

3 Likes

You, sir, had an awesome father. That is beautiful advice and the kind I wish I had gotten from mine.

Indeed, Amen!

This. You have felt the depths of a man’s soul through his tools. I admire you.

This thread is full of passionate tool lovers with excellent fathers. A happy thread indeed!

For those that love more tool pron, if you like really old esoteric stuff, they’re rare, but the late Ted R. Crom did some legendary books on horological tools (watchmaking). Horological Shop Tools 1700-1900 is one of the most beautiful texts I own. Hundreds of huge pages of centuries old tool catalogue illustrations from multiple countries in many languages. Tool hounds and people that like this would go bonkers over it.

3 Likes

That’s not a “grout spreader.” It’s a trowel for thin-set mortar. Whole project: ruined.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.