I'm so old that

Was it a savings book, that had to be fed into a little machine to print out your deposit/withdrawal/interest?

Heck, I remember when interest was figured out MANUALLY by the teller.

7 Likes

Machine? It was handwritten.

Machines came later. They seemed like magic. If only we knew.

9 Likes

I’m so old that…

• I remember black and white TVs having a much much clearer and better picture than color TVs. (one dot per pixel vs 3 for RGB) I didn’t want a color TV because they were always blurry.

• I find hi-def, hi-refresh rate video disturbing. I don’t want to count the pores in the actor’s face in some weird soap-opera-style video. 4K sounds like it would be even worse. Even for a computer monitor, fonts are already thinner and harder to read than they used to be, higher resolution sounds like it would be worse not better.

7 Likes

Realizing exactly how much phlegm leaves a baseball player’s face during a game was definitely an unwelcome revelation.

I have a fix for you, though: don’t watch boring crap about people, watch nature documentaries. Then every pixel is glorious.

10 Likes

Alas, those haven’t gone away. For some needs, one still has to struggle with them.

7 Likes

I remember seeing Star Wars for the very first time in 1977. I was ten at the time, and we lived in a small town so going to the cinema in the big city of Dubuque was sort of a big deal. So it had been out for a few months, and I had to wait until it hit the local cinema in the small town where we lived. I think I even read the novelisation before I got to see it.

And it was worth it. It was awesome. I was a Trekkie who had suddenly found a new love. And then Battlestar Galactica hit the TV screens, and Buck Rogers. I never got the action figures, but my Legos were now mostly made into star fighters.

One fun recollection is that I recall going with my parents to the drive-in in 1978 to see Star Wars again, and the second movie was Barbarella. My mother, a nice catholic woman, was mortified. Edit: now that I give it more thought and think of my parents more, it was only because my sister and I were in the car and that she actually would have watched it. I think my dad dragged out leaving a little longer than she liked.

9 Likes

That one really feels like a true Jean Shepherd vibe to me. :grin:

7 Likes

tCr5F3v

This part of the movie really spoke to me :smiley:

10 Likes

try switching over to film mode on your tv. it can help make it feel less clinical.

6 Likes

I’m so old that it wasn’t until I was in sixth grade that the public school dress code in my town was changed to allow girls to wear pants. Before that, during the winter you could wear snow-pants under your dress or skirt while walking to school, but you had to take them off once you got there.

Sets of Legos referred to the number of bricks in the box, not what you would make with them.

9 Likes

So you’re a closet librarian?

3 Likes

Hush, now. Don’t be advertising that. Librarian groupies are scary!

5 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say that I use microfiche once every few months. They hold up better than old blue/black line prints.

5 Likes

You’re four years old?

1 Like

I’m so old that when I learned to drive, my parents’ car had a manual choke. Driving in winter was a bit hit and miss for me.

Also, I’m so old that this was my first single:

14 Likes

At least!

2 Likes

I can remember when flank steak was the poor man’s cut. These days it’s one of the priciest.

4 Likes

It’s more than chuck (which I prefer, frankly), but everything else is still more, at least here.

What I’ve observed is that 20 years ago the top steak in a typical bistro was filet mignon (usually followed by NY strip); now they usually only offer skirt or flank, and to get anything else you have to go to an upscale restaurant or dedicated steakhouse.

3 Likes

This was in heavy rotation at my house through my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpLiJfV4_A

Good times.

I am so old that I am in the midst of a raging, that’s-it-I’m-moving-to-Tahiti-to-sell-coconut-bikinis-on-the-beach mid-life crisis.

11 Likes

Well, this May I will have a full deck. One card for every year. After that, it’s just jokers.

Really, I’m so old I can still remember jokes about President Gerald Ford while he was still in office. I can remember getting all excited about the last Apollo mission: Apollo-Soyuz. And my first exposure to computers: an Apple ][+ that the school bought, and that a sympathetic teacher let me experience as I was one of those smart kids that was constantly being picked on.

I remember when being into computers was not cool, but nerdy and geeky and dweeby. Fuck those brogrammers. Woz was, and is my hero.

12 Likes