I'm so old that

me too. i felt like an international spy at the library whenever i had to use it as a child. in my imagination a hollow tooth wasn’t totally out of the realm of possibility and i would be the perfect agent, no one would suspect a kid.

13 Likes

I’m so old that the sole use of a skateboard was to ride down hills. You had to use a key to affix roller skates to your shoes.

roller-skates_0

17 Likes

Remember how dirty that string would get, hanging around your neck with the key?

7 Likes

All the cool kids made lanyards from gimp.:wink:

Speaking of keys, I went from knowing that the front door was always unlocked during the day to using a key that was hidden under a flowerpot to having my own key on a string around my neck. Now, that string really was filthy!

5 Likes

I remember when people used to keep a spare car key in the wheel well in one of those little magnetic sliding boxes.

8 Likes

You are Marshall Teller and I claim my $5.

eerie-indiana-tape-1430

5 Likes

You used to know me? :wink:

6 Likes
8 Likes

I’m old enough to remember when basic cable (at least in my town) included HBO, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel.

5 Likes

I remember pumps marked “leaded” and “unleaded” and you had to be careful not to use the wrong one (now, it’s diesel you need to be careful with).

I remember when you could start a car with a screwdriver. Air conditioning was when you opened the windows and drove fast.

“Affordable housing” existed and not just for the 1%. No, not everyone could afford it, but a lot more than can, now.

I remember when a tear-down manual and tools were all you needed to fix a car, and there were no “secret manufacturer’s codes” that only they can diagnose.

17 Likes

I still pump mine up with a bicycle pump.

(Sorry - haven’t got the hang of combining quotes thus all the little posts - I’ll do better next time).

5 Likes

Just remembered one.

I am so old that I once had a savings account that earned 12% a year in interest. That’s right, double digits on savings. And not a locked-in term deposit or anything. Just a savings account, where it actually made sense to save.

19 Likes

Jesus, that would have been competitive with an index fund.

I’m sure you mean Skinemax.

5 Likes

I remember it because it matched with the number of months in a year, so to my child brain, it made sense.

But yes, there was a time when the conservative rhetoric of “put money in a savings account” made sense, because even a few dollars squirreled away here and there could accomplish something. Now, with the fees on some accounts, you’re better off sticking it in a coffee can so you don’t lose money.

11 Likes

I guess inflation is lower now, and interest rates are lower, etc.

Turns out, not a good trade.

3 Likes

Today I Learned: Melanie has a last name.

6 Likes

I’m so old I remember when brands like McDonald’s, KFC, and Pizza Hut actually tasted good.

And a quarter dollar got you 4 songs on the jukebox.

14 Likes

Hows this for early imprinting mixed with latent OCD tendencies: All the books in my personal library have a label on the spine with the Dewey Decimal Number, and they are shelved in that order. Makes my wife bonkers!

11 Likes

I have a diesel car. That’s not the biggest problem.

E85 is the big one. Older cars aren’t made for it, but a lot of people just fill up with whatever is cheapest. I chatted with the attendant at my local Biodiesel gas station, and based on what she said, people do about $20k of damage a week to their cars filling up on the wrong pump. (Averages 40-50 people a week who do, and then regret it)

But, hey, in the spirit of this thread, “I’m so old, I remember when there was Diesel cars and not just Diesel Trucks”

8 Likes

CA / AZ, so I was astonished to to come across 85 in Utah.

3 Likes