Impeachment trial of Donald Trump to begin week of February 8, says Sen. Chuck Schumer

Also rails, for running them out of town on.

3 Likes

Oh, you can bet anything they have been since at least Jan 6th. But really, they don’t even have to comb through any private data as these morons publicly shared their names, faces, actions and, in many cases, their hometown/state. Add onto that the awesome hackers who pulled all of the completely unsecured data off of Parler before it went down and you’ve got more than enough to convict the vast majority of them. At least with crimes that will make people think twice before trying this again. And once they have gathered solid evidence for higher crimes, they can start rounding the real leaders up and make an example out of them (which is already happening).

5 Likes

TIRED: Delay trial until February 8th to give president time to prepare a defense.

WIRED: Delay trial until February 8th so even more incendiary treasonous stuff to leak out about the events leading up to and on 1/6.

NOTE:

Senate votes can be held in secret.

9 Likes

This is one way to unpack it. Long thread, interesting read.

6 Likes

I was under the impression that the House wasn’t going to pass along the article, and therefor the impeachment trial was going to be delayed past the first 100 days of the new administration. What changed to move the trial from May to February?

I’m not sure where you heard, that but Pelosi wanted McConnell to call the senate back into session right after the impeachment vote to deal with it and he (of course) refused. He then proposed mid-February, and Schumer set it for the 8th. No one in Congress ever said May, as far as I’m aware. Might have been pundit talk, though.

5 Likes

This is what I’m recalling:

So it appears that my memory is correct, just that it wasn’t leadership (Pelosi/Schumer) that said it.

1 Like

Okay. I had not heard Clyburn’s proposal. It seems like Pelosi was sticking with the soon as possible scenario and Schumer agrees.

2 Likes

I think McConnell got his use of Trump so I expect him to be twisting some testicles to keep them in line. All but Hawley and Cruz are gonna probably vote against him this time. Only because they want to bar him from public office for their own sakes. He soured the independent voter bloc against the GOP and so it’ll be an interesting 2024 to see which swamp creature they can conjure up.

2 Likes

I don’t know… I think some will break with Trump (Mittens, the ladies tag team from Maine/Alaska, Grassley, maybe, possibly McConnell) , but is there really any evidence of most elected Republicans “seeing the light” and voting for democracy ahead of party? Their problem is that they know they don’t hold popular positions, so all they have is the kind of divisive, Us-v-them rhetoric that Trump and Fox brings to the table that they all believe to be wildly successful in working for them (his loss and the loss of GA aside).

2 Likes

It’s not so much seeing the light but getting rid of a potential threat. Trump is apparently trying to primary out those who didn’t go along with his de-certification strategy. And McConnell doesn’t want that. He’s happy with the situation despite losing nominal control of the senate. He knows he can find a way to woo back swing voters more easily now that they had their time with Trump. They’re more likely to go with safer bets that won’t get them exiled from family events. The other side of that situation is that I think the camel is already fully in the tent of the GOP and McConnell might have blind spots he hasn’t or can’t check. I suspect there will be more fascist uprisings in the GOP the question is can McConnell build a strong enough firewall to beat them back this time.

5 Likes

I called my senators, and wrote Sen. Chuck Schumer, and urged them to make the votes via secret ballot.

Also, if I were the impeachment managers, I’d ask each senator to submit a report on any contacts they’d had with Trump since the impeachment vote, and disqualify anyone who made a deal.

6 Likes

True. But I think there are still people willing to go along because they think that’s where the power in the party is right now.

Well, McConnell was willing to go along for several years of this, though. If the center of gravity in the power stays in Trump’s favor, that’s going to be tough for McConnell to ignore. I can just as easily see things leaning towards Trump and the moderate (but still hard right) wing of the party being purged.

Agreed.

We don’t know if he’s really done it this time, honestly. The GOP did nothing to stop the extremists in their midst from stirring up a near insurrection, and it might be too late. I think the vote will tell us what direction is going to be the new “mainstream” of the party.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.