Trump impeached second time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/13/trump-impeached-second-time.html

22 Likes

Okay, Senate:

48 Likes

yay? :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

goundhogday_again

52 Likes

A good first step. 13 republican senators need to cross the aisle to convict. From the “arguments” I just heard, it sounds like they’ve already gotten their excuses ready to not convict. Here’s hoping though.
Edit: 16 senators!

21 Likes

All that’s left is for Republicans to grow a conscience, or sense of civic duty.

30 Likes
22 Likes

You mean 16? They need 2/3rds, that’s 66. They’ll have 50 when they start the trial (I assume it’ll be after the new Senate is seated).

12 Likes

I have so many snarky rebuttals to that, but I will give them the chance to do so, or at the very least just not show up, which works just as well.

19 Likes

Was he trying to use the words of Liz Cheney to shame the GOP?

Good luck with all that…

18 Likes

Man, that’s laughable on its face, but miracles do sometimes happen, so here’s hoping.

6 Likes

If anyone is wondering why this is a good idea in the final weeks consider this.

Trump cut security staffing the day the electoral college votes were counted on the hill and it had to be up to Pence and not Trump to call in the national guard. Donald put the lives of people on both sides of the aisle at serious risk. A guy like him losing his lifetime secret service security detail is poetic. A guy who has gone way out of his way to act like a dick to others.

37 Likes

Even though the vast majority of the GOP still needs to grow a spine, 10 Republican Representatives voting in favor of impeachment is a non-trivial sign of the slipping support among his base. Also the number of Republicans willing to speak on Trump’s behalf was less than half the number of Democrats willing to speak out against him.

No matter what happens next Trump

1. Is the first President to be impeached twice

2. Set a record for “most Representatives from his own party voting in favor of impeachment” (twice the number of Democrats who voted to impeach Clinton)

3. Is the first President to have at least one Senator from his own party vote in favor of conviction (Romney last February, likely to have more company this time around)

51 Likes

Yep, you’re right. Correction time!

3 Likes

They keep trying to give the GOP the benefit of the doubt and assume good faith, but alas…

22 Likes

I mean, that would require the ability to feel shame.

21 Likes

Indeed, that was my point.

23 Likes

On that:

"Would Trump lose Secret Service protection if he was removed from office? It is not clear – to us or to two legal experts we consulted, law professors Stephen Vladeck and Josh Blackman.

There are two relevant laws that use different language on who counts as a “former president.”

One law, the Former Presidents Act we mentioned earlier, specifically says that a president who gets booted by the Senate does not count as a “former president” for the purpose of certain post-presidency perks.

However, another law signed by Obama in 2013, the Former Presidents Protection Act, simply authorizes lifetime Secret Service protection for former presidents – without defining “former president” in any particular way.

It is not clear which definition the federal government or the courts would use when it came to deciding whether an impeached and removed Trump should get lifetime Secret Service protection. (The Secret Service did not respond to a request for comment.)" -ABC

22 Likes

I guess I’d be willing to pay the Secret Service detail to keep him safe during the times he has to head to places like the mess hall, the shower, the prison laundry to work, etc. But I don’t think we should have to pay them to stand outside his cell while he’s in solitary confinement – that seems like a waste.

EDIT: Oh, and he should have the best health care possible while he’s in there. As long as he’s in prison, I want him to live a very, very long life. The best part will be how he feels when people stop talking about him on Faux News every day.

40 Likes

Although viewers of Lawrence O’Donnell heard from Professor Tribe that it’s 2/3rds of the Senators who are present. So it wouldn’t be terribly surprising if some republican senators decided to be away for concocted reasons - and thereby make 2/3rds easier to achieve.

29 Likes