Imperial March in major key

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Might as well replace it with Hixxy

######heretics

Yeah, sounds somewhat like British marches of the early 20th century, somewhere in the range of Elgar to (maybe more to the point) Holst.

8 Likes

When I played it I imagined flying toasters.

10 Likes

Not this?

2 Likes

Ah, I remember that track from a Jimni Krikit mix session. I used to be a bigtime kandi kid in the noughties. Makes my teeth sore remembering all that, good times :wink:

3 Likes

Be all you can be, stormtroopers!

8 Likes

Actually, you’re not far off. John Williams cited Chopin’s Piano Sonata No. 2 and Holst’s Mars: the Bringer of War as inspirations for the Imperial March. If Picasso was right that good artists copy and great artists steal, then transposing to G minor is a great fence :wink:

5 Likes

This whole discussion strikes me as being distinctly tone-deaf.

10 Likes

10 Likes

I was thinking something more like this:

Playing the Imperial March in the major mode mimics Holst’s band music rather better. (Mars and the Marche funèbre are both quite a bit darker than Williams’s original. Mars is barely tonal, what with all the tritone shifts.)

9 Likes

One of my favs!!

2 Likes

It was our discussion in the lounge to which I went back to get the link.

1 Like

I do love transposing minor to major, major to minor. It is a quick way to get your friends to start throwing beer cans at you.

8 Likes

I like you :grinning:

Metaphorically speaking of course.

6 Likes

Depends… It sneaks in fairly regularly within a piece: pretty common way to vary a theme, bog standard for fugal subjects (as “mutation”).

1 Like

Yeah, but when you play NiN’s Hurt in a major key, people get… Twitchy.

BTW, Johnny Cash’s version of Hurt is better than Reznors (one of the few times a cover is better than the original. The other that springs to mind is All Around the Watchtower)

6 Likes

NiN exists to be improved on. :wink:

8 Likes

Okay, I need to know…which cover?

1 Like

I’ve never actually seen this movie, but I’ve heard the theme-- in a major key, of course

4 Likes