Imperial March in major key

It’s almost as good as the theme. I highly recommend.

And I’ve never heard that in a minor key. Really cool. Thanks!

I’ll be even more impressed if someone mutates one of these themes to Locrian mode. :wink:

4 Likes

Hendrix cover of that talentless hack… What’s his name? Robert Dylan?

5 Likes

Oh…

IMHO, Dylan is a world-class poet and horrid musician…but what do I know :yum:

3 Likes

Oh, I love the guy. :D. It’s the kind of nose tweeking I like to do, similar to when I say to @PatRx2 that Hayden couldn’t compose himself out of a damp paper bag :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Actually, I prefer XTC’s version to Hendrix. But Bob’s still wins.

1 Like

Ye shall be flogged with nettles! With nettles I say!

1 Like

Puts him in a class with Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen, to my mind. Joni has had better covers done by Colosseum II and Nazareth (Down to You and This Flight Tonight respectively). Anything of Lenny’s needs to be handled by someone else…

I kind of identity with Dylan - as someone who can compose and write (though not by any stretch in his league), but can’t sing worth crap - in a vastly inferior way since I’m not worthy!

He’s a truely genius lyricist and he can write wondrous music. But performance?..his voice is…unfortunate (albeit to my ears and this is highly subjective). We’re there any justice in the universe, Dylan would have been bequeathed a golden voice. I don’t blame him; it’s just bad fortune (or not) that he can’t sing (though he’s done pretty well anyway, hence the what do I know) that his voice can’t enchant my own ears.

ETA: I want to hear TV on the Radio cover All Along the Watchtower.

You know, that’s why you should floss.

1 Like

Almost has echoes of Elmer Bernstein.

Interesting. I agree on Mitchell…way better song writer than performer…but Cohen is one of my go-to soothing voices.

3 Likes

…and I’m originally from Montreal - go figure, eh?

1 Like

puts on honest face

Dylan has a fine voice. I really have no critiques of his work or corpus, just some jokes. And the shared observation that Watchtower is one of the very, very, very few covers that is better than the original. (It almost never happens, it is so rare that it is noteworthy)

2 Likes

Well, you know what they say about a prophet in his own land :smirk:

Happens maybe more often than one thinks: Trane’s version of Afro Blue is arguably better than Mongo Santamaria’s. Mongo, however, had a hit with Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man.

Ah shit, I haven’t played watermelon man in years…
To the YouTube’s!

True. No one listens to me. :smirk:

1 Like

sidebar

Listen to the intonation of Hubbard and gordan compared to autotuned music produced now. On the one hand I love tonal perfection, but on the other flaws are where the beauty is. Otherwise we’d all be listening to sine waves.

1 Like

Not sure he’d agree with you. I saw Dylan play this in concert with the Band, and his own take on his own song had changed considerably from John Wesley Harding - he adopted Hendrix’s interpretation almost intact.

3 Likes