Implosion of tower dorms at Vanderbilt University

Originally published at: Implosion of tower dorms at Vanderbilt University | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Neatly done.

8 Likes

I prefer “controlled demolition with explosives”

Anyway
f78b716e397606301b0ea1ef9895b365

42 Likes

Correct. You can hear the difference.

An implosion goes “GNAB!”.

25 Likes

Controlled demolition. Right. That is what the government wants you to think.

9 Likes

Farewell, Sodom and Gomorrah.

6 Likes

2nd video should have put the extra 30 seconds AFTER the explosion instead of before it, it would serve two purposes - no pointless wait watching nothing, and - the big square ads that come up in the last 20 seconds wouldn’t have covered up everything like they do now

15 Likes

Man those are fugly buildings. Remind me of this:

7 Likes

Oh man, those buildings were next to my daily running route when I worked at Vandy. This is the best they’ve ever looked.

15 Likes

They blowed up good.

14 Likes

The janitor is gonna be pissed.

10 Likes

Am I the only one kinda distressed that it seems that the general expectation is that all of these concrete buildings around us are not to last past 40 years?

Especially University buildings, I thought these were supposed to stick around for however long the institution lasts.

20 Likes

I’m confused about this also.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Twenty years or so ago, the University of Florida remodeled a few of the old traditional dorms into classrooms and administration, and the project turned out gorgeous, creating a lot less waste, and preserving much of the original beauty of the campus.

I skimmed through some of the justifications, and can’t really see what they’ll be doing with a new building that could be different from an older building.

15 Likes

I’m imploding my lurid brick past right now!?!
Brick Industry GIF by Schlagmann Poroton
Toddler self, go!
Fail Fun And Games GIF

14 Likes

What’s the big deal? In Florida, your buildings do that kind of thing spontaneously.

1 Like

Too soon

14 Likes

My Alma mater has done a similar thing. They bought up a few historical Victorian homes and used them for offices. This is millions just for the purchase let alone the remodeling.

Then they tore down the historical homes (how much did that cost to bribe the city to allow that in the historic district?) and in their place put up a new arts center. They already had an arts center which was just 20 years old.

It is senseless and nobody gets a better education from it.

11 Likes

Always follow the money trail, common sense, heritage, esthetics can never withstand the force of soulless greed mongers. And education, really, what do you think a modern university is all about?

11 Likes

I prefer controlled demolition with fun arms and faces.

7 Likes

I saw those damned ads and immediately went thru my FF extensions, hoping I’d disabled one of the tube of you adblockers, but noooOOOooo. Fuckers musta changed the code again. Hope our adblockers soon catch up and disappear 'em again!

Those buildings were soul destroyingly ugly. Good riddance to bad architecture. Can’t believe they threw up (term advisedly used) those monstrosities so close to that gorgeous bldg across the street, whom I assume is Vanderbilt’s Old Main.

They remind me of Detroit’s late, unlamented Jeffries Projects,

which were identical/very similar to lotsa other oppressively hideous Yankistani high rise projects of the time, including Detroit’s Brewster Projects.

5 Likes