Improved names for everyday things

Tried reading through that. It was easier than Shakespeare, but there were some words and usages that I could only guess at. And the grammar is a little tricky in places.

I suppose that if you are familiar with how chemistry textbooks are written, it’s easier.

unkleft: atom
worldken: science
firststuff: element
beholding: theory

The elements follow.

waterstuff:hydrogen
sunstuff: helium
glasswortstuff: silicon
stonestuff: lithium
coalstuff: carbon
chokestuff: nitrogen
potashstuff: potassium
redstuff: rubidium
bluegraystuff cesium
germanstuff germanium (there is an error-- germanstuff has 32 firstbits, not 22)
ymirstuff:uranium
aegirstuff: neptonium
hellstuff: plutonium

various atomic particles (or uncleftish motes)

lightrottings: radioactive decay
roundaround board of the firststuffs: periodic table of the elements
firstbit: proton
bernstonebit: electron
neitherbit: neutron
lightbit:photon
weeneitherbit: neutrino
fowardbit:positron
kernel: nucleus
samestead: isotope

Yeah, I was a little confused as to the meaning of “uncleftish mote”. Which I guess makes sense for subatomic particle. I was thinking uncleftish mote meant the same as mono-atomic molecule like O2 or N2. Or possibly a polyatomic ion eg NH2. I gave up because my mental parser lost interest after the first few paragraphs. I read slowly enough as it is, and I was having to go back and re-read a bunch to keep track of the new noun usage.

English can be like that sometimes. Words like “lightbulb” once sounded so darn earnest to my Portuguese-native ears they were kind of adorable. Yup, that’s a bulb of light alright.

3 Likes

and then there’s this beer found around the North-West US

I’d love to hear that Anderson read by Colin Cantlie.

This was way funnier when it was a series of photographs on failblog where someone had relabelled the items in a department store.

2 Likes

because no post anywhere is not complete without a simpsons reference, let’s also not forget Moe’s “car hole” (garage).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.