In 1936 a Russian family retreated into the Siberian forest, where they lived in complete isolation for 42 years

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/01/in-1936-a-russian-family-retre.html

I’m to lazy to find it, but I know this has been posted before.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same, though I believe it was a BoingBoing story, not Futility Closet.

7 Likes

It was in the Smithsonian magazine in January 2013. I’ve thought of it many times since reading it.

(I would have sworn I got there at the time through a post on BoingBoing, but I’m not finding it at the moment.)

ETA I meant to say it was on the Smithsonian website. I don’t know if it was in their print magazine.

5 Likes

Here:

Make me do all the work. From Jan 29, 2013

8 Likes

The podcast had some interesting details that weren’t in the 2013 post, including the latest updates on the last surviving member of the family.

4 Likes

Ben Cash (Viggo Mortensen), his wife Leslie and their six children live deep in the wilderness of Washington state. Isolated from society, Ben and Leslie devote their existence to raising their kids – educating them to think critically, training them to be physically fit and athletic, guiding them in the wild without technology and demonstrating the beauty of co-existing with nature. When Leslie dies suddenly, Ben must take his sheltered offspring into the outside world for the first time.

4 Likes

Did you see this movie? I wanted to, but we’re trying to save some money. The actor who plays Gavin Belson in Silicon Valley directed it.

2 Likes

Cool story, though. Still worth a read.

1 Like

Pre-BBS, even!

3 Likes

Maybe this is a new, more subtle version of the thread necromancy we’ve been plagued with all summer.

3 Likes

Not yet. It’s a possible for this weekend.

2 Likes

Be sure to let me (well, all of us) know of you liked it. I may go see it anyway. Thanks!

2 Likes

Will do. Enjoy the holiday!

2 Likes

I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! 

4 Likes

Your denial just proves it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.