In 1952, New Zealander Tom Neale set out to live alone on a desert island

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/in-1952-new-zealander-tom-nea.html

1 Like

Alone in the Wilderness

Same idea - opposite side of the world.
I bought this dvd for my wife’s grandfather early on in the courting. We were super close ever since.

3 Likes

I visited Suwarrow by sailboat in 2004 and saw Neale’s former camp, now a national park of the Cook Islands, overseen by two park caretakers and really only called on by cruisers. It’s a wonderful place teaming with life but very remote. I later read his book - it’s a good read providing insight into the motivations of someone who would give up human company to spend years alone. The book is now out of print but I still have my copy somewhere and will probably go find it to read it again.

3 Likes

Is it a desert island or a deserted island that people want to move to? Cuz a desert island sound pretty horrible.

1 Like

Desert can also just mean desolate or unoccupied. Now a dessert island’s where it’s at.

3 Likes

“Revisit Scunthorpe”
…For the love of god, why? I’ve been there, it’s really not worth it.

See, folks, pure libertarianism can work!

1 Like

Maybe it’s really Galt’s Atoll!

1 Like

He could have written a new Walden – if only he’d brought a maid!

2 Likes

I’m on board for dessert islands.

1 Like

I got the DVD as a PBS pledge. The really wonderful thing is how much time Dick Proenneke spent documenting his time in Alaska. It’s great that we can share and appreciate his experiences without having to actually go out alone in the wilderness for years.

everytime PG&E shuts off my power, I start to wonder if I should carve some spoons.

2 Likes

Now I’m wondering if anyone has chosen an Ayn Rand book for Desert Island Discs.

A quick search says Michael Caine and Suzi Quatro.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.