In a time of "driving while black," the Negro Motorist Green Book gets a new edition

Which is kind of the point.

However in this day and age, there is a shameful need for a green book for the gay tourist. Given that discrimination against them is still legal in a lot of areas and the bigots have been stumping to expand it into open commerce as much as possible.

7 Likes

This too. The fact that bigots seem so “embiggened” by recent political events is hopefully one of the last dying hurrahs of an outdated way of thought.

… or so I’d love to think, but I honestly think that being a bigot of all types and varieties was far more commonplace than we’d really allow in public… until recently.

It was all sort of shameful stories about how someone’s grandmother had a horrible name for brazil nuts, or how “back in the day” people had not very nice nicknames for Greg Louganis… But we’re so much better than that now… uncomfortable laughter…

Now it’s a step back 50 years on all fronts…

6 Likes

On a related theme, I found this thread to be rather insightful:

https://twitter.com/alwaystheself/status/973412740126605318?s=21

8 Likes

So, maybe not “a step back 50 years”, but “The Racists and Bigots that have always been here are now “embiggened” enough to be loud and proud…”

As I said earlier… Shit’s depressing.

Maybe a ray of sunshine might be that with interracial marriage more acceptable (my parents got shit for it, my wife and I not so much), and greater degrees of migration all over the world, maybe these assholes will become more of a self limiting weird little cult.

6 Likes

Racism = prejudice + power.

There’s been too much focus on the prejudice and not enough on the power [1].

Polite White supremacy held sway for a few decades; now the overt version is back in power. The weird little cult currently controls the most bloated military in the history of the world.

Demographics alone won’t defeat them. Whiteness is a flexible category, able to expand or contract as needed. Democracy is no obstacle; White supremacy has always been about the rule of a privileged minority.

The bastards can be beaten, but not by just waiting for them to wither of their own accord. Power concedes nothing without a demand.

[1] Because framing the problem as an individualistic psychological issue does not demand responses that threaten existing wealth and power. Which is why this is the longer version of the quote:

8 Likes

Real talk, on all counts; all that’s happened recently is that the comfortable facade that lulls us into complacency has been cracked, and the pieces are slowly shattering.

7 Likes

Looks like you live at the wrong country geolocation.
Consider moving. Or a VPN.

Been there. Did that.
And I have to say, at the current state of affairs, I consider it again. However, I’m inclined to stay since I haven’t found an agreeable place anywhere.

Seriously. Having everyday access a clean drinking water, a hot shower every time I need one, proper healthcare with insurance, affordable education and (more or less :wink: ) good food seems not very much to ask, but most countries I’ve been visiting are far from the standard I currently get.

Also, I’m not going to let them win without opposition.

1 Like

“Social” networks have ripped off whatever had been papered over the cracks in the walls previously. And some of the cracks are large enough to drive a truck through.
Sometimes I am reminded of Forbidden Planet. The Krell switch on their big magic machine that is supposed to advance their society. Instead, it frees their inner monsters, and they wipe themselves out overnight.

2 Likes

logo_Flyout_goosen

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.