In defamation case, Elon Musk will testify that "pedo guy" is a common South African phrase and not an accusation of pedophilia

DAMMIT, dapper trash panda!

4 Likes

14 Likes

carl-sagan-youre-awesome

11 Likes

The consensus on LawTwitter seems to be that the courts will regard the “pedo guy” comment as Internet trash-talk and not actionable, but that Musk’s email to a journalist saying that Unsworth moved to Thailand to marry a 12-year-old is a whole other pile of doo-doo.

13 Likes

Next we’ll learn that doubling down into increasingly precise details of the original accusation is merely the quaint South African method for conveying rhetorical intensity but absolutely no literal accusation. Because that’s equally sensible.

Also, “bet you a signed dollar it’s true” is known by linguists as the “Afrikkans exclamation point”; and idly pondering why your target isn’t suing you, right up until he does, is just a standard schoolyard taunt.

7 Likes

What a common insult in South Africa might look like:

8 Likes

I kind of doubt this was his lawyer’s idea.

6 Likes

Why an L.A. court, though? As the aggrieved party, I would think the British citizen would do better in an English court.

1 Like

I think the lawyer needs a smarter client.

14 Likes

That would make it a trial for the ages.

4 Likes

saying it was a common insult in South Africa where he was raised

“And ‘child rapist’ and ‘I dare you to sue me’?”
“Um, er, those are also common insults in South Africa.”

No, no - you’d just get an answering insult of “I dare you to sue me!”

7 Likes

A smarter client wouldn’t be sued.

4 Likes

Doesn’t he watch TV? He should have claimed that he thought the guy’s last name was “Guy”. First name “Peter”.

1 Like

Hope the payout is $5mill PLUS a Tesla - which he should immediately sell off just to return the insult.

2 Likes

Musk has apologized for the “pedo guy” comment, saying it was a common insult in South Africa where he was raised, and that he did not intend to accuse Unsworth of pedophilia.

“I suggest that you call people you know in Thailand, find out what’s actually going on and stop defending child rapists, you fucking asshole.”
— Elon Musk, September 4, 2018, to Buzzfeed News.

Elon Musk is the second worst liar I’ve ever seen.

7 Likes

There are no good billionaires.

4 Likes
8 Likes

I’m pretty sure Lex Luthor would have better PR instincts than that.

13 Likes

10 Likes

Thinking on good old Lex. If we are going to have a fucking evil business man for president I would be okay with him cause he knows better than to run the country into the toilet.

10 Likes