In defamation case, Elon Musk will testify that "pedo guy" is a common South African phrase and not an accusation of pedophilia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/plain-meaning.html

2 Likes

40 Likes

19 Likes

I’m South African. It’s not a common South African phrase. You call someone a “pedo guy” on the street you better be ready to defend yourself.

60 Likes

tumblr_inline_mrdv0a299N1qz4rgp

36 Likes

Musk: “Pedo Guy? I meant Pedro Guy. Like in Napoleon Dynamite.”

12 Likes

Just pay the guy off and shut up already! He’s Streisanding the frack out this.

28 Likes

May I assume if this occurred in a bar instead of on the street, a fight would instantly ensue?

10 Likes

I wonder if he’ll insist that he meant to call him a pedagogue.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to Ninja and Yolandi being called to the stand as experts in South African slang.

26 Likes

But he hasn’t apologized for the “child rapist” comment :interrobang:

What a dipshit defense. You’d think a guy with his kinda money could hire smarter lawyers.

16 Likes

“Okay, so long as my client keeps his mouth shut, I should be able to end this with a small settlement-”
“I’m gonna take the stand.”
“Y-you are? As your lawyer, I have to recommend against-”
“Yeah, I’m gonna say that calling someone a pedo is just, like, a normal slang thing.”
“Oh- uh- look-”
“As is ‘child rapist’.”
“Right, I’m just gonna knock off early, I have an appointment with a bottle of alcohol.”

22 Likes

No. He called him a pedo guy, and later on in separate statement doubled down on his assessment of his character.

10 Likes

He doesn’t need better lawyers. He need a ball gag that he can’t take off himself.

18 Likes

@doctorow

Now, Musk’s lawyer has announced the Musk

Don’t. Please.

12 Likes

And Baptist! I meant child-Baptist!

7 Likes

That smell you’re picking up? That’s The Musk

6 Likes

I believe I politely said “Don’t”? I just know I did.

12 Likes

If i Musk stop i guess i will :frowning:

8 Likes

I guess this opens all of social media to the opportunity to call Musk “pedo guy” as much as possible. Minor insults make for great terms of endearment.

13 Likes