In heated rant, Jon Stewart shreds GOP over vote against vets: " If this is America first, then America is f*cked" (video)

Originally published at: Jon Stewart shreds GOP over vote against vets: "If this is America first, then America is f*cked" (video) | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Funny how they never seem to care where the money comes from when they send people off to war.

40 Likes

John Stewart’s quote from the video really sums up the situation:

“You don’t support the troops, you support the war machine”

41 Likes

Minor, but Stewart’s first name “Jon” (short from “Jonathan”), not “John”.

16 Likes

God knows we don’t need another actor or celebrity in the White House… but I truly believe Jon Stewart would make a great president. That man has passion for people. For sure he’s light-years more qualified than most we’ve had in the past.

13 Likes

Damn, how did I miss that?!? Thanks for the correction, curse my horrible spelling!!! ^_____^

7 Likes

I don’t know. Running a live late-night show like he did involves skilled public speaking, tons of research, being able to think on your feet, and being able to surround yourself with (and keep) a good team of smart, motivated people who you will listen to, which seems like a big chunk of the qualifications we need in a President.

It’s a way different skill set than the last guy needed on his reality show, or Reagan acting in his films.

25 Likes

I’d instead prefer there was some sort of civil role he could have. Being the President is the worst job on earth…and while I like Jon a lot, do we really feel he should be deciding trade policy with Belize?

That said, if he was secretary of vet affairs or something like that, I’d be all on board.

7 Likes

“If this is America First, then America is fucked.”

“America First” is and historically was a right-wing movement. Whatever accolades they accords them during wartime, its leaders don’t see soldiers as anything other than cannon fodder in service to large corporations.

19 Likes

Jon has definitely seemed a bit more like a mortal man these last few years. Some cracks have shown through his perfection and I’ve disagreed with him on more things than expected. But when he is on he is fucking on.

14 Likes

And that folks, is oratory. A shame we only hear such compassion and anger from the people who don’t have the power to make the world a better place.

Those who run our governments like the mewling Lindsay Graham or the vacuous Liz Truss over here in the UK, don’t care and daren’t put themselves in front of the public. They hide behind spokesmen, soundbites and handpicked audiences to avoid ever having to answer for their (in)actions.

8 Likes

Can Senate filibusters invite guest speakers?
(This is my nomination.)

3 Likes

filibuster rules were changed in the late sixties, early seventies so that it only blocked the bill in question and not all senate business. which means it’s not necessary or even - so far as i know - possible to hold the floor with a speech.

literally all the republicans have to do is say they will filibuster and that’s that.

and anyway, the gop wouldn’t invite stewart to speak against themselves

6 Likes

I thought we were talking about this guy.

6 Likes

Fixed. Thanks!

8 Likes

Stewart would make an incredible Senator. I’d love to see him primary Gillibrand.

7 Likes

Presidents don’t make policy - they have people that do that - they go into negotiations with what they need - what they want - and what they can afford to give up - the hard choices are Military related and are things like ‘who to bomb’ ‘go or no go’ - they ‘pull the trigger’ on emergency things - and yes I’d take someone who has passion and cares and is willing to listen to others and round up the best of what they have to offer over any demagogue -

How in the hell do you think a night show host gets the joke slate every day for years… no comic has that much material - they have to go into a writers room and work out what works - having the skill set to listen to multiple competing ideas and get the best out of a team of people might just be the most relevant job skill you could ask for in a president.

6 Likes

How do you shame the shameless? A question heard more often every day in America.

13 Likes

And how do you deal with hypocrisy, when the hypocrites do it on purpose just to piss you off?

8 Likes
7 Likes