In leaked audio, Michael Bloomberg defends racial profiling: "throw them up against the wall"

The establishment press’ choice after Old Joe Biden – not that they want or expect Trump to lose reelection.

1 Like

from the position of this one speech he gave, it sounds like he’s not really for reasonable gun controls.

it’s more that he wants to get guns out of the hands of black men. ( in order to satisfy well heeled whites who have decided that people of color are the source of all problems in the world )

i would be happy to concede his kind of gun control will do nothing to curb gun violence. well regulated gun ownership is needed, but not the kind a man like him would offer

(edit)

Drugs aren’t GOOD for you, but neither is the oppression the laws cause

100% agree with you. i think drug laws are needed. but not the criminalization of users. rehabilitation and services. not jails and prision.

4 Likes

To quote from an old thread:

4 Likes

Pretty much this. Optimistically, Bloomberg is only 75 (?) percent as bad as Trump, but a Democratic House and Senate would feel obligated to give him, the guy that beat Trump, 100 percent of that 75 percent.

And a GOP House and Senate would agree with Bloomberg’s policies anyway, and give him the same.

In Oz English, it’s roughly “woom’n” and “comm’n”. The second syllable is a short “in” for both.

The rhyme isn’t perfect, but it’s close enough for poetry.

1 Like

This specific speech? No, you’re right.

He has several ads now focusing on gun control. They are much more sanitized than his off the cuff remarks he’s made. He has used his NYC crime numbers and gun laws as an example that he is tough on crime and guns. Some of his points I am sure sound reasonable to some.

Though one could argue keeping guns out of the “wrong hands” is coded language. (Towards the end of the 2nd video.)

Two examples of ads, I am sure there are more:

1 Like

this talking point of his irks me so much, and i hope - if he ever buys his way into the debates - somebody calls him on it.

if you send police into any neighborhood, and you stop and frisk people at random, if you pull people over and do searches of their cars, if you arrest people for resisting arrest… you’re going to get a whole lot of people arrested. ( and, if you keep doing that to those same people, everyone arrested will have a prior “criminal” record. )

meanwhile, rates of drug use ( and even violence ) in groups of differently complected people don’t actually differ that much.

white collar crime - which affects large groups of people, sometimes multiple generations of families - he barely mentions

it is.

the real arguments for gun control aren’t about “bad” vs “good” people. they’re about the intrinsic nature of guns and their unique capability to inflict harm.

anybody who tries to sell gun control as keeping them out of the hands of “criminals” is trying to sell you a bridge ( re: racial profiling above, and what the word criminal even means. )

7 Likes

Exactly, it’s circular logic to say “we have to stop and frisk young men of color because they’re the ones committing all the crimes” because even if a large percentage of Wall Street bankers are carrying guns & cocaine that’s not going to be reflected in the crime stats if they aren’t the ones getting stopped and frisked.

11 Likes

It reminds me of a previous NYC mayor. What was his name? Huh. I wonder what he’s doing these d…OMG! [puke]

8 Likes

Thread:

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/disruptionary/status/1228213589791531008?s=21

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.