In Ohio religious ignorance legally trumps facts

Ohio recently passed a bill preventing students from being penalized for wrong answers if their answers were in line with religion. Goodbye NASA. Hello Flat Earth.

11 Likes

How easy is it to start up a religion, again?

Maybe one where every test is open book? Or every written answer is prophesy communications that can’t be questioned?

I think I’ll call it 100%-guaranteed-ianism.

9 Likes

Ohio is a beautiful state with a robust, growing economy, exciting food scene, and a capital city with a surprisingly inclusive LGBT culture.

It’s a shame that the government is consistently one of the stupidest, most backwards, corrupt bunch of yokels in the country. It’s a good reminder of why I don’t live there anymore.

12 Likes

And to think it used to be the technology and innovation hub of the continent.

6 Likes

There was a question posed in the past about why so many astronauts came from Ohio. For example, Neil Armstrong, John Glenn, Donn Eisele, Judy Resnick, Jim Lovell. A more modern question may be, will there ever be another astronaut from Ohio?

5 Likes

Some legal experts (including generally reasonable people like Ken White) are offering a more nuanced take on what the bill actually says:

3 Likes

Best hospitals, and best symphony orchestra too.

2 Likes

My answer to every calculus problem: praise be allah.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I read through it.:+1:i agree it is more nuanced than the above assessment.

I still have some issue because it is largely framed to virtue signal legitimacy in a context where none exists and slipping religion into the school system where it most certainly does not belong.

If one is taking a science test, and the correct answer is required, the rest is completely unnecessary and like any additional content that negates the expression of original understanding, should legitimately be able to be marked down.

If the answer is the earth is 4.5 billion years old, often the teacher isn’t JUST asking just for the memorized age but has taught how we know this and the various data points that confirm this hypothesis. A statement to the effect, “well you said 4.5 billion but i really think 6000 and made by an imaginary sky being”, isn’t JUST wrong, it clearly indicates the material was not assimilated. It isn’t appropriate in that context.

Similar to how a religious teacher would detract from an answer “sure jesus died for our sins, but that is a bunch of crap, he likely wasn’t even a real historical figure and rather an amalgamation of three well studies pre existing myths” wouldn’t get full credit in a church setting.

It is these small easy concessions that set the most dangerous precedents.

KEEP RELIGION OUT OF SCHOOLS

5 Likes

I agree, I suspect this bill is really just designed to address a largely imaginary threat against Christians (that is, that Godless college professors are routinely flunking students who don’t actively hide their religious beliefs).

3 Likes

In their minds, the mere existence of anything contradictory to their delusions constitutes a threat. No one whines about being oppressed more disingenuously than Xtians.

5 Likes

It is a very clear attempt to privilege religion above all else and has no place on the schools. The nuance is an attempt to stay just on this side of the law for now.

4 Likes

I foresee a lot of kids answering questions in tongues. “It’s the right answer, you just aren’t privileged to interpret it.”

7 Likes

Per the linked article, the bill still has to get through the state senate. Unfortunately, the state senate is 75% GOP, so the bill is… well… we’ll see.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.