In response to sanctions, Chief of Russian space agency threatens to drop ISS on North America or Europe

“In Soviet Russia, space station fly to you”

8 Likes

Awesome response. Thanks to you and @VenTatsu for the thorough rundown.

1 Like

Oh, it’s really all @VenTatsu - almost everything I said I learned from ISS posts they made in other threads about this!

5 Likes

I think a reasonable response would be “Oh, thank you for letting us know in advance if this happens that the ISS dropping on a populated area is an intentional act of war.” “Should we find out that this is happening, we will consider it tantamount to attacking said city with nuclear weaponry given the energies involved in a mass attack from space, and will respond in an appropriate fashion.”.

The last thing we need is more warmongering, but the only (arguably) beneficial thing about having nukes is the deterrent effect.

This asshole is stating that his government is willing to drop 500 tons from space on a populated area…

6 Likes

Except they aren’t, really. The Chinese call their astronauts “yuhangyuan” ( 宇航员; cosmic traveler). “Taikonaut” is a weird case – it’s a term invented by Western journalists by combining the Chinese for space “taikong” with “naut”, but that isn’t a word the Chinese themselves ever used.

7 Likes

Which translates (from conjoined Chinese-Greek) as Star Sailor, just like astronaut does from Greek.

Cosmonaut though…that is Universe Sailor!

Ron Burgundy Wow GIF

Dammit. Need the read the whole thread. Yuhangyuan is also QUITE badass

6 Likes

I can’t believe there’s an upside to this but you found it :pray:

15 Likes

Not Sailor Moon, or any of the rest?

4 Likes

Are you thinking of Sailor Stars?

3li137

3 Likes

Okechobee I’d be concerned about for the damage to the wildlife. Boca Raton? Eh…not so much.

5 Likes

Nothing special about Kleptocracies in that regard then.

Technically, you can try aiming for Mar-a-Lago, but you’re just as likely to hit New Orleans.

2 Likes

as opposed to the rest of it :confounded:

2 Likes

What’s the German for “low orbit apes-in-a-can”

8 Likes

Augenhöhlenaffe.

10 Likes

Cbs Thumbs Up GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

8 Likes

Trying Fox Tv GIF by BH90210

9 Likes

1 Like

He does not appear to threaten anything of the sort, the way it reads to me he is simply saying that if their cooperation is blocked, the ISS will eventually fall out of the sky on the US, Europe, India or China. Probably referring to the fact that NASA relies on Russian rockets.

1 Like

That’s a nice, stable orbit you’ve got on your International Space Station…

It’d be a shame if something were to happen to it.

:Takes big bite of apple.:

10 Likes