In The Labyrinth, Simon Stålenhag's alien tech turns dystopian

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/in-the-labyrinth-simon-stalenhags-alien-tech-turns-dystopian.html

3 Likes

Anyone else enjoy the amazon series based on Tales from the Loop? Some great gems in there.

1 Like

I saw the first episode, and the photography, soundtrack and general vibe were beautiful, but I found it … well, long, slow and understated. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’ve only so much free time in the evening (and not usually enough to watch an hour-long episode of anything).

Is it worth sticking with?

6 Likes

Same. I’d also like to give it another try, but it didn’t hold my attention in the first episode.

6 Likes

Its definitely slow but I think it’s got some great meat to it. Most episodes are their own thing but there is an overall thread between a majority of them.

3 Likes

The second episode really sets up the big thread.

2 Likes

Good to know. My Justified binge is coming to its natural end, so I need something lined up. Kids will just have to go to bed earlier (or I’ll have to get less sleep, or I’ll have to split an episode across two evenings).

4 Likes

Justified was awesome!

3 Likes

I’m not sure whether I’m more in awe of Walton Goggins’ ability to make a ruthless murderer so sympathetic, or of Timothy Olyphant’s ability to make a “good guy” so hair-raisingly terrifying.

2 Likes

I have no idea who is character is, but I can’t wait to see him in tonight’s episode of The Mandalorian.

2 Likes

He is trending on Twitter because of that. DO NOT LOOK AT THAT TREND IF YOU DON’T WANT SPOILERS.

1 Like

My favorite is Simon Stålenhag’s “The Electric State.” an odyessey in a haunted alternative America. The publisher also makes a tabletop RPG of Tales of the Loop which plays like an 80s kid adventure movie.

3 Likes

It was a slow burn, but I didn’t mind. Sometimes it’s nice to just relax and enjoy something as a pretty piece of art.

4 Likes

We watch a lot of scifi at casa de akbar and no show stimulated more discussion this year than TftL. And that cameo at the end… Chefs kiss perfection.

1 Like

I liked the setting and the “main” story (which was about 2-3 episodes of the season as a whole) but … so many hours spent at the center of a venn diagram of “emotionally dead”, “dreamlike” and “sloooooow”, waiting for the magic to happen.

5 Likes

I like the animatics in the kickstarter trailer for the new book; they really add an extra level of disquieting to the images.

2 Likes

Free League also produces an rpg set “After The Flood”; aimed at a recreating the disquieting encounters of an older group of characters; more “Lost Boys”, than “Goonies”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to enjoy Tails from the loop. But the first 3 episodes were too depressing, and sad.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.