In the market for a spork? Try the Toaks

Oh hey, I have that exact case: it’s a AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories.

Overall, I’ve been happy with it, but I find it a little narrow (for example, when I’m carrying several power adapters and battery chargers they only fit on one side and not on both sides opposite each other).

2 Likes

It’s spelled Splayd.

Sporkfe!

2 Likes

Gesundheit!

12 Likes

I’m betting it’s artisanal Altoids.

2 Likes

This is so…misguided. Also, could you explain how it differs from the “sporf”?

@stefanjones

That’s his bag, baby.

3 Likes

I knew it!

1 Like

Dunno. The Altoids tin in my pack is a tinderbox. If I’m getting out my spork, that means I’m planning to eat, which means that I’ll likely be wanting fire to cook whatever I’m eating.

It should be fairly obvious, since I’m generally regarded as at least a semi-civilised human, that I don’t, as a rule, make a campfire in a hotel room. :smile:

1 Like

DRUGS! #Ahhhh!

1 Like

I see a packet of Sugru! Why didn’t I think of that?
Totally adding that to my USB!
( Urban Survival Bag )
Cheers!

Add a stick of hot-melt glue and a lighter, and a little bag of polycaprolactone granules. These two are immensely helpful as well (and unlike sugru they don’t expire in any reasonable amount of time, nor you have to use them by packet). 5-minute epoxy, if possible the heavy-duty metal-filled kind, is also extra-handy.

The polycaprolactone and hot-melt adhesives have the advantage of being reworkable with relative ease. Good for field repairs that you can undo and revisit once you’re back in a well-stocked shop.

3 Likes

I have the same one, and would not want it any wider than it is, but I’m frugal with power adapters.

Just got back from a three country trip with this travel case: camera, travel clock, power cube for camera battery, individual Apple square plug (one USB inlet, one U.S. power outlet), 4-jack USB power strip, long power cord for the strip, USB cord for iPhone, USB cord for 1st gen iPad, various adapter plugs (each country uses a different type), extra memory cards, various odd bits I didn’t need to use but were there if I did…and room to spare without feeling like it was too big for the job. The phone would have fit fine, for example, but I keep that separately in a small RFID pouch with the passports and credit cards when traveling.

(falls to ground dramatically, hand clutching heart) help me Jesus!

1 Like

:smile:
First off: there’s nothing wrong with keeping old tech if it still provides a desired service. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Second, it’s actually quite useful: with no cell connection or email address connected to the device – by choice – there’s no worry about being hacked, lost, damaged, or stolen while traveling. No need for a password to unlock the device, even. Just an easy way to read books and magazines and play games at all times except for take-off and landing, and still have internet access wherever wifi is available for maps, online searches, other games, etc.

Every device doesn’t have to have the latest tech. I know, you’re having a conniption fit right now, aren’t you?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hey, if that’s what they need to believe so that knitters can finally knit on airplanes again, so be it. The fact that I could kill someone with a #10 aluminum needle if I tried really hard or really, really needed to shouldn’t be mentioned. :wink:

1 Like

As they say, a knitting society is a polite society… :smile:

1 Like

The 1st gen iPad was especially anemic for its time. 256mb RAM… that super low res screen. The good news is if you bought an iPad today, five years later, it would be (literally!) 10 times faster and have almost 10 times the RAM. Also the display is retina.

I don’t know about that. Miss a stitch, or do one backwards, and there’s likely to be all manner of swearing going on. :wink:

3 Likes

Ah. You know what? Your post made me remember that I’m the sort who usually waits for the SECOND version, when they’ve gotten the initial kinks worked out. Sure enough, it’s an iPad 2, not first generation. It hit the sweet spot of being significantly better than the first one and still serviceable enough that I haven’t yet been able to justify the cost of getting a new one.

It’s not like I don’t have a computer, laptop, and phone too. I don’t want it to be a slightly different-sized but otherwise identical device. It does what I want, and if I want more, I use something else.

I also save rubber bands and paper clips. Have I mentioned that I grew up with two parents who lived through the Depression? It’s a very different mindset.

2 Likes