Small, sharp knife disguised as a housekey

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/03/small-sharp-knife-disguised-a.html

2 Likes

The rule is - steal a steak knife from the hotel you’re staying at - then leave it in your room when you leave.

11 Likes

My high school cross country coach taught us the “keys between the fingers in a fist” self defense technique. This definitely takes that up a notch.

6 Likes

I used to fly with my drawing supplies all the time, at one point i realized that i had forgotten to remove my xacto knife and the pack of replacement blades from the container of supplies. I flew with that thing for years and it never got a second look from TSA.

6 Likes

I used to carry a multitool with me everywhere. Then after 9/11 I couldn’t bring it on the plane anymore. The TSA was usually nice enough to let me put the bag with the knife in bag check, and I think once I was able to mail the knife to myself. I snuck knives past them once or twice without even trying.

6 Likes

There’s a video of Adam Savage telling the story of him accidentally going through security and getting to his destination and finding out after the fact that he accidentally flew with a giant wood working blade in his coat. TSA does great work :smiley:

6 Likes

Bleh who cares - before 9/11 you could fly with any knife under 4". It was never a problem.

Though shortly before 9/11 they let me fly with my knife, but not my cigar punch that LOOKED like a bullet but CLEARLY was not one which was on my key ring.

3 Likes

AFAIK, at least here in Europe, folding knives with non-locking blades up to 6 cm in length (read: standard-size Swiss Army knives) are now allowed in hand luggage again, and have been for a couple of years or so. I still try to put mine into my checked suitcase to be sure (apparently not every baggage screener has heard of the rules change), but I’ve flown with one in my backpack a number of times and didn’t have it confiscated.

3 Likes

The amazon link is broken (redirects to their home page)… That and its an amazon link. (Anyone have a browser plugin that automatically strips out amazon links and redirects them to a google search or something?)

Found and thought I’d share an actually useful link http://www.sogknives.com/key-knife-black-bx.html

1 Like

Surely this would be a lot more TSA-proof if the blade came out of the back edge of the key, not the serrated edge. The way it is now, when closed, the serrated profile of the key gets obliterated by the blade, so it doesn’t look like a key any more. Make the blade come out of the straight edge of the key, and the profile will still look like a regular key and blend in with those on a keyring.

3 Likes

Good tip on the steak knife.

As an alternative, a pair of these
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/41FXPbSa2xL.SS500.bmp
is nominally acceptable for carry-on, and will handle many of your in-transit cutting needs, including some that are difficult for a knife. If the screener doesn’t agree, at least they were cheap. (I grind off the little right-angle tab at the end of the blade, but they work pretty well as is.)

At your destination, buy a cheap utility knife with snap-off blades for a buck or so, and toss it before the return flight. You’re covered for most things not food-related. Carry a plastic knife for that.

2 Likes

But - useless for protection.

1 Like

Depends on the scissors, some can be unlocked easily and they’re sturdy enough you can come at someone with it. But honestly if anything serious were to happen on a flight or airport having a knife handy won’t do much. You’re better off either not getting involved or restraining the person.

2 Likes

I’m just talking about being a woman in a strange town - not airport related. At home I at least have pepper spray.

3 Likes

I’ve had a Swiss Tech Utili-Key for a while. Very handy.

I’ve forgotten I’ve had it on me a couple of times. It was missed by a security type at a Tool concert (who confiscated my obviously dangerous micro LED flashlight), and by a sherrif’s deputy at a Bernie Sanders rally (who was suspicious of my Nite Ize Inka pen but let it pass).

4 Likes

I’m hesitant to send a woman (or anyone) out with a knife to defend themselves if it came to it, unless they had some basic knowledge on how to use it properly. A little thing of pepper spray may be more effective.

2 Likes

I’m all for running, I’m just not as fast as I used to be. That said - I’ll use what’s ever necessary.

6 Likes

I gifted a friend a self-defense metal pen that can convert into a small baton/striking object. He’s got military and martial arts training and he likes to carry that pen on occasion. Hasn’t had any problems getting it into places :slight_smile: I forget what brand it was… think it may have been CRKT.

1 Like

Not entirely. :wink:

But yes, I was thinking in terms of tools, not weapons.

(Depending on where you are, a concealed steak knife may be just as illegal on the ground as in the air.)

4 Likes

Feature, not a bug.