Small, sharp knife disguised as a housekey

Pretty sure they confiscated it for the same reason they don’t allow flash photography.

OMG, confirmed, & this is news to me. I’ve been leaving the knife at home since 9/11 even within Europe. But I think only the smallest Victorinox blade qualifies under that 6cm limit:

"Victorinox models are available in 58 mm (2.3 in), 74 mm (2.9 in), 84 mm (3.3 in), 91 mm (3.6 in), 93 mm (3.7 in), 100 mm (3.9 in), 108 mm (4.3 in) and 111 mm (4.4 in) lengths when closed. The thickness of the knives varies depending on the number of tool layers included. The 91 mm (3.6 in) models offer the most variety in tool configurations in the Victorinox model line with as many as 15 layers.[29]

Wenger models are available in 65 mm (2.6 in), 75 mm (3.0 in), 85 mm (3.3 in) 93 mm (3.7 in), 100 mm (3.9 in), 120 mm (4.7 in) and 130 mm (5.1 in) lengths when closed. Thickness varies depending on the number of tool layers included. The 85 mm (3.3 in) models offer the most variety in tool configurations in the Wenger model line, with as many as 10 layers.[30]" Source

1 Like

I think the rule refers to blade length, which means my 74mm SAK with a 52mm blade would pass, but not my 84mm knife with a 62mm blade, if the screener was in a bad mood.

Yep, it’s the length of the actual blade (i.e., the sharp bit) that counts, not the overall length of the knife. Which IMHO makes reasonable sense, even if it’s an EU regulation. I’ve actually had a baggage screener open my knife and hold the blade up to a ruler once.

I still try to put my knife into the checked baggage because it is my knife and my flight and the baggage screeners may have a bad-hair day.

3 Likes

Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. Sub par counterfeit copies exist, mostly originating from vendors via places like Aliexpress/direct from China. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they find their way onto ebay or even an Amazon vendor.

more like MISfeature.

A link for a product should be to a page of the company that makes it, especially when you can buy it directly from them and cut out the middleman. And amazon’s order process is broken, they won’t let you specify the shipping method, and they want your CC on file before you approve the final total.

Unless of course BB is getting kickbacks from amazon.

Here is a direct link to the other color options: http://www.sogknives.com/search/product-type/folding-knife?q=key+knife

I wouldn’t call it a kickback, but BB uses affiliate links.

1 Like

Getting through airport security is a crap-shoot. Pre-911 a friend was pickup up his wife and was at the gate (back when you could do that) before he realized that he was still carrying his gun. (he was a policeman)

I use my razor-sharp wit to keep me alive.

:smirk:

5 Likes

You can use practically everything you usually carry around with you as a weapon. Especially for hand-to-hand situations. Won’t be very effective without some training, though.
Another thing that can work really well, but might need a bit of training as well, is body language. Cowardly assholes, and these are the types that will be the problem, always go for persons they perceive as weak and easy targets. If you can pull off projecting that you don’t scare or panic easy and will fight back, while at same time not being a threat (because some guys see that as a challenge), you’re good almost anywhere, anytime. Some people are naturals at this, but it’s something one can learn.

2 Likes

You can always go through the security check unarmed, then buy a couple of bottles of wine at the duty-free. Broken bottles make for excellent weapons in confined spaces like aeroplanes.

1 Like

You have me at a disadvantage, sir.

2 Likes

takes imaginary notes

So always wear a Tap Out shirt while travelling. Got it.

3 Likes

Broken implies it’s not working as intended, and Amazon not letting you pick the shipping company is absolutely working as intended, because it’s how they keep shipping prices low.

Boingboing does get “kickbacks” from Amazon, though the industry term for getting a cut is “affiliate link”.☨ However, if I want to buy a product I often prefer links to Amazon, even affiliate ones, over links to the manufacturer’s site. I like the reviews, even though I’m wary of their authenticity. Plus, prices are pretty much never cheaper on the manufacturer’s site, so cutting out the middleman has no benefit to me. And Amazon already has all of my info so it’s faster and easier to check out. I’m a Prime member, so there’s a good chance my order qualifies for fast, no-cost shipping.

I do, however, miss when Amazon used to characterize the shipping options as 3-5 Day USPS or 2 day UPS (or whatever the options where), so I knew what carrier would be used and could decide for myself which one I trusted to get to any particular address. Ordering direct from the manufacturer may be warranted if there is a counterfeiting going on, though, as Amazon still has a problem with counterfeit inventory.

☨ After you click through to Amazon via an affiliate link (they look just like ordinary links to Amazon unless you know what to look for), the individual BoingBoing writer who supplied the link gets a direct cut of everything you put in your shopping cart in the next 24 hours and subsequently purchase within 89 days.

4 Likes

Where exactly are you going that’s so dangerous? I ask because I often find when I travel that I am told to be very wary, only to discover that the local environment is much less dangerous than my home turf.

6 Likes

This. I was once out taking photos near the Oklahoma City state capitol and a cop pulled up to warn me it was a “dangerous area at night.” After a few minutes of conversation he asked:

“You’re from where, back east? Where do you typically take photos at midnight?”
“Newark.”
“Well, um, be safe then.”

9 Likes

I’m usually not terribly worried about affiliate links because it doesn’t hurt me or my purchase in any way. It’s a decent enough way to support BB, but i often wish the affiliate thing was more transparent. Hell i may be more likely to buy something that i already want but see that BB has posted a link for it.

6 Likes

Trump Towers

10 Likes

I myself travel with one of these:

With the added benefit I find the TSA never searches my hernia truss so I have the perfect place to carry my knife!

15 Likes