In this 1969 cartoon, Mickey Mouse enlists in the Vietnam War and gets killed

Originally published at: In this 1969 cartoon, Mickey Mouse enlists in the Vietnam War and gets killed | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Oh, Mickey, you’re so fine,
You’re so fine, you blow my mind.

12 Likes

Surprised the creators of this cartoon weren’t sued out of existence.

11 Likes

Some things never go out of style.

(Also available in a truncated version.)

10 Likes
11 Likes

Well it’s not like the filmmakers were likely to get widespread distribution back in 1969 anyway.

6 Likes
21 Likes

Cool! I did not know that. Apparently, Adam provided vocals to some of his father’s animations for Sesame Street, but I can’t find any immediately. I’d really love to hear his little squeaky voice.

8 Likes

Along the lines of anti-Vietnam War stuff, the Twilight Zone had one of the earliest “soft opposition” pieces:

Then there’s the 1980s Twilight Zone episode about a Vietnam draft dodger haunted by guilt. So maybe anti-anti-Vietnam. Written by none other than George R R Martin (when he should have been working on GoT, no doubt.)

10 Likes

One important thing they left out…Agent Orange. Mickey would have been doused in it while dying.

20 million gallons of it between '61 and '71 under Operation Ranch Hand. My uncle-in-law was getting skin grafts for decades.

13 Likes

speaking of old, crudely-drawn black &white cartoons and copyright infringement:

13 Likes
5 Likes

According to Wikipedia, “The music prominently used in the soundtrack is The Gonk by Herbert Chappell, which was popularized by George A. Romero’s horror film Dawn of the Dead .”

Ohhhh - I don’t remember it from that film (it has been awhile since I have seen that, but Redlettermedia has used it on some of their Mr Plinkett Reviews.

1 Like

at least there used to be a debate …

5 Likes

The general American public has become insulated from the horrors of war. We are far too tolerant of the idiot politicians who allow wars to continue for no real reason.

4 Likes

Alas, I get “This video is unavailable”.

2 Likes

That Mickey still had a tail back in his B&W days?

(Starting in the 1940s he was often depicted without one but, fortunately, his tail has reappeared in more recent shorts)

1 Like

My mother’s sister is pro-draftdodgers; we call her, “Auntie Anti-anti-anti-Vietnam”.

6 Likes

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.