In this Twitter exchange, jetBlue explains to a passenger how it got a photo of her face -- from the DHS

A simple google picture search with her name spits out quite a lot of photos from her that can be verified by going to her website …

2 Likes

That was kind of implied, by spamming the same comment repeatedly.

Nothing%20to%20Worry%20About%20Here

ETA:

Um. I never said nor even implied that I’m not alarmed by the state’s actions over jetBlue’s.

In fact, my very first comments pretty much demonstrates the exact opposite position.

But thanks both for assuming what my focus of concern is, and then deigning to tell me what my own concerns ‘should be.’

5 Likes

I used to like Jet Blue when it was Southwest with assigned seats and free baggage check - plus headphones! Now they just suck like everyone else.

6 Likes

Fair point.

2 Likes

It’s the passport photo. That’s already stored when you submit your passport application, just like your DMV photo is stored by your state.

2 Likes

Agreed.

They used to deplane from front and rear exits at Long Beach Airport (LGB) which I thought was pretty cool.

But, alas, they have taken the darker path.

Shift happens.

2 Likes

Greed ruins everything.

8 Likes

Where do DHS or DoS get passport data and images for foreign nationals?

Maybe they store them when the person first enters the US?

I have to say I’m very surprised that they are organized enough to get this data and make it work reliably. I suspect its not at all scalable

2 Likes

Well, they “suck” because they’re using the DHS database to experiment with a biometric ID system, not because they’re doing a bad job of transporting people (which they’re still pretty great at, compared to others). Sounds like this new system’s not only buggy but immediately unpopular, so I’ll bet it’ll be phased out in favor of the good ol’ handing-a-guy-my-boarding-pass system.

1 Like

I’m surprised because the e-passport gates used in the UK, NZ, and Australia are notoriously buggy and error prone - and all they are doing is comparing the biometrics on the photo to the face in the camera. They require removing glasses and hats (which is always great, because then people who need glasses can’t see the instructions on the screen) and the chips on the passport storing the photo data are say t break.
Unless the DHS got way better software than the other 5 eyes governments (and my experience with government procurement suggests that is very unlikely), it’s more likely that this is just smoke and mirrors and uses a “good enough” level of matching.

5 Likes

You sure you wanna know the answer to this question?

1 Like

More information:

FYI: Get ready for face scans on leaving the US because 1.2% of visitors overstayed their visas

“But there’s a bigger picture here, and it turns out JetBlue is merely getting into facial recognition early. Every other airline operating in the US will also be introducing the facial recognition technology in an effort to combat illegal immigration under a program called Biometric Exit.”

4 Likes

I wonder if a photo of a person would fool the scanner, like…

I also wonder, if it did work, if you would get in trouble for using the photo if the photo was of you?

I’m not wondering enough to try it though.

8 Likes

Oh, I’m sure this is just “good enough” matching. I have no doubt that if you got your reasonably-similar-looking sibling to pose for the photo, it would let you in.

JetBlue would never have allowed this if it resulted in too many false negatives. Far better for them to err on the side of false-positives.

3 Likes

DHS database is the icing on their cake of suck.

2 Likes

Okay. I haven’t personally had any poor experiences with them as an airline and thankfully they hadn’t launched this new creepy facial ID system when I last used them a few weeks ago. But ‘experimenting with accessing already-available DHS info’, while a poor idea, won’t make me fly with a more-expensive and much-suckier airline.

1 Like

That’s my real fear here - as a legal immigrant in the US, If they mistakenly flag me as having left based on some 25% match, it would then be up to me to prove them wrong. 30 years of dealing with the DHS and its predecessors makes me not want to do that.

I would say that the first time success rate for e-passport gates I have seen (and watched as I queued for them) is perhaps 25-50% with another 25-30% succeeding on additional tries/scans. There’s always a substantial rejection rate and the airports never seem to have planned for that.

4 Likes

Seems legit, no worries at all…

5 Likes

I went through one of these on a Delta flight out of DTW a few weeks ago, along with two family members. The good (if you want to call it that) is that in our cases at least it was totally seamless – barely even had to break stride before continuing on to the plane. No presentation of passport or boarding pass. I was very surprised it worked at all, much less so well. The bad has already been covered heavily upthread; I’ll add that we weren’t given any realistic way of opting out or even properly notified face recognition was in use.

Overall, it was creepy AF. If I could wave a wand and make the whole thing go away, I would.

Another friend reports going through the same thing on a Southwest flight from (I think it was) SAN to HNL, which is even creepier since it’s a domestic flight (don’t tell the birthers).

Edit: was actually a SWA flight to CUN, so not domestic.

1 Like

But to be clear, I’m fairly certain that they’re matching name first. So the system pings the DHS server and says “There’s a person here with the name X and biometrics Y”, and DHS will look at the record for X and see if Y can be a close match.

1 Like