In wake of terror attack in France, Newt Gingrich wants first amendment repealed in America

Bluman vs FEC? That’d be a fight I’d pay to see.

10 Likes

So apparently you think the answer is to shut these people up. Now, elsewhere you argue that dismissing a cultural perspective out-of-hand creates resentment that only exacerbates the divisions:

So I guess you want us to apply exact opposite logic, saying we should silence one group who might want horrible things for women and gays and some minorities in order to prevent that, and faulting us for not listening enough to another group who might want horrible things for minorities and gays and some women in order to prevent that.

To me, that makes you look deeply disingenuous, demanding different standards apparently based only on your prejudices. But since it’s American disingenuity, I guess I should tell you how much I appreciate your thoughts, whereas for anyone else I would ask a mod to quiet them, right? That’s how this works?

5 Likes

There is no such case. Perhaps you were referencing Berman v FEC, but in terms of the Supreme Court’s ruling, there’s nothing to “see”.

No, it is not.
In practice, there is no such thing as freedom of speech, there is only the power of the state to enforce its practice.

He knows he can use words as a weapon until someone shuts him up. And no one will.

2 Likes

The TEAGOP gets more disgusting & repulsive daily. Please regressives leave the US Constitution to the adults.

2 Likes

I doubt few of these people would be included:
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/groups

1 Like

What’s next, Jewish Halakha Law? Compare and contrast:

In Israel, Rabbis have the power to throw people in jail (Times of Israel, July 15, 2016):

2 Likes

We’ve been able to successfully marginalize people who spout this sort of nonsense before. What’s changed?

But accident of birth is important. We cant decide people’s rights based on something as unstable as shared humanity!

11 Likes

And people in the US can agree to have their legal disputes settled under binding arbitration by and arbitrator who uses Jewish religious principles as the standard.

Which is one of the (many) reasons I left the Orthodox community that I was raised in. I can’t speak for the entirety of Orthodoxy, but the Beth Din system in Cleveland is grossly corrupt and available to the highest bidder.

7 Likes

“New York Values”?

1 Like

Fixed. Honestly I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to correct the misconception that Timothy McVeigh was an atheist. I could just about cut that number in half if I condensed all the times I’ve said it to the same person, but at that point it’s not “correcting” so much as asking them to quit repeating what they know isn’t true.

Also don’t let his name fool you–McVeigh was no Scotsman either. At least not a true Scotsman.

17 Likes

That’s why he was rejected in favor of Mike Pence as Trump’s pick for VP. Dull and ignorant, that’s what Trump wants in a VP apparently.

3 Likes

So, Timothy McVeigh was an atheist? Wow, I knew it!

/s

Your link to an article highlighting McVeigh explicitly stating that he believes in god has the perverse effect visually making it seem at a glance that McVeigh was an atheist, even though you said the opposite.

People often miss negation, so I think rules that apply to denying false charges may also apply in forum posts, which is to say what is true rather than repeating what isn’t with a negation that people will forget, as in “I AM INNOCENT” as opposed to “I AM not GUILTY”.

(Or, may by edit the post so the link text includes the word “misconception” in it, too.)

2 Likes

Hmm. If I’m not much mistaken, there are Israeli Sharia Courts with similar powers.
http://www.justice.gov.il/En/Units/ShariaCourts/Pages/default.aspx

However, there is a slight problem with nomenclature. In many countries, religious law is used to either supplement civil law (e.g family law), or deal with matters that the civil and criminal courts really have no interest in (conversion, religious discipline, the conformance of investment instruments to religious taboos… Of course, the stated goal of some insurgents is to replace the existing civil and criminal law (the Gewaltmonopol) with some something else inimical to civil liberties.

It’s important to distinguish a voluntary supplement (do what you want-- I don’t care) from a replacement (are you fucking crazy?) and the word “sharia” doesn’t do a good job of that.

Christian businesses do it, too. I wonder if Pence’s next “religious freedom” law is going to allow oppressed Christians settle their legal disputes according to the only authority, the Holy Scriptures? If he doesn’t, then we don’t have any religious freedom, right? :wink:

2 Likes

5 Likes

The problem, though, is that both the Islamic and Jewish “voluntary” arbitration is anything but for women in those communities.

I’m a bit torn on this issue. I think people should be allowed to voluntarily settle disputes - but I also think that depends on people meeting on equal terms, and women are often unequal in these religious arbitrations.

5 Likes

What about all the Muslims fleeing Daesh or the Syrian government (in part because of a war WE started)? What about the Yazidi people or women fleeing their families for just some of the reasons you describe? Gay Muslims, are they banned too?

9 Likes