In which an English technologist livetweets 11 hours of trying to make tea with a "smart" kettle

Unless something goes wrong.

hey, this is a real issue!

(Oglaf)

15 Likes

Sounds like a stick-a-thermometer-in-the-kettle project. Not terribly complicated, you’re right.

Definitely used in the home. We had one for almost 10 years, and they are very handy. When it finally died, we just replaced it with an electric kettle. Less convenient, but only marginally so.

I’m looking into a hard-wired hot water dispenser for our kitchen sink. These are the utmost in convenience: hot water dispenser

My dumb kettle turns off by itself, it has a sensor that tells it when the water is boiling. It doesn’t whistle though, so remembering to go pour the water while it is still hot can be tricky.

A friend had one of those. The shelf life on the heating element was slightly longer than an electric kettle, and you also had to crawl under the sink to connect the plumbing (or pay someone to). After replacing theirs a couple of times, they got an electric kettle.

5 Likes

I may have spent 11 hours of my life looking at Oglaf comics. Electric tea kettle? No, Oglaf? Maybe.

EDIT: I do use an electric kettle, but it was given to me so I haven’t the faintest how much it was. One switch, on/off, does the job nicely.

Also, obligs, especially b/c my HTPC is down, and because of that I had to take down my test box, and b/c of that…

7 Likes

I think of this when I make my tea. What a fantastic scene.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your friend’s experience. Looking at the ones that are commonly available, they look like a Zojirushi tank under the sink, with a plumbed water supply. It would make sense that they would have about the same life expectancy, but much harder to work on/replace.

Imagine saying to your British neighbour 30 years ago, “Martha, would you like a cup of tea? - Yes? Just on moment. - Oh, I’m sorry, Martha, the kettle has crashed and has now problems finding the wireless. However, I think it will boot once the server has send it some new files.”

Martha says, “Are you alright, dear? Care to lie down for a bit?”

3 Likes

What make is it?

Let me see if I can find it on Amazon…

It seems to be unavailable there right now, but at least you can see the brand (LeMeilleur) and read the reviews (a solid 5 stars with 472 reviews):

LeMeilleur French Press Coffee Maker

I can’t speak to other brands of the same type of French Press. They might be just as good, but I don’t know.

2 Likes

“Currently unavailable” Oh why do you taunt me so? I need one of these! I am not allowed to handle glass French presses in the morning before I’ve had my coffee. The plastic ones deteriorate too quickly. You see my dilemma.

Maybe look at the reviews for other brands of the same type to see if you can get a close enough approximation.

The big thing to look for is the double screen. That seems to be an indication of greater attention to detail.

1 Like

I have this one, and I am quite pleased with it, 10 months on.

I am considering buying the smaller size as well. I’ve accidentally made coffee that was too weak, when trying to make less than a full pot. It made me sad to have wasted nice beans.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat, glass french presses just don’t last for me.

1 Like

Smart home really means “idiot-savant” home. It can do one or two things brilliantly, but is wrapped by a hopeless and profound obtuseness. Then there are the privacy, security, and short life-cycle concerns. A good tea kettle should literally last a lifetime. That thing is already obsolete.

1 Like

That’s pretty good… a 4.8+ rating for hundreds of reviews! Added to my shopping list. I lost a piece of my Aeropress in the hotel last week.

1 Like

It doesn’t keep the coffee hot for as long as a thermos that seals, but it is long enough for me to have 2 or 3 cups at a decent temperature.

1 Like

so like 20 to 30 minutes? unimpressed : )