Incredible art created by erasing dirt on trucks

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/18/incredible-art-created-by-eras.html

6 Likes

It’s nice to see he’s still creating dirty car art :slight_smile: the first time i became aware of his work was years and years ago and it’s quite neat.

3 Likes

##do NOT wash me

4 Likes

Now this is really good. I used to know someone who argued that all the best art is transient - fireworks, beach sculptures, pavement drawings, poetry recitals. Perhaps that’s why recorded music and paintings in galleries seem increasingly dead.

And now a nitpick: media is a plural noun already. Hence multimedia. The singular of media is medium. Mediums has been pinched for people who pretend to communicate with the dead, so we’re stuck with media. Thank you.

Even so, I still find the finger writing on the back of a truck “Also available in white” mildly amusing.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Would spray fixative help keep these amazing works alive for more than just a few mins or hrs?

1 Like

Doesn’t photographing them kind of ruin the ephemerality?

If i recall, the artist enjoyed seeing how his art degraded with weather and would document how the degradation would happen over time.

Short of taking a picture the best way to enjoy it would be to let it wash away.

4 Likes

If you want to preserve it, a coating of Scotch Guard applied to the entire surface (light covering on dirt and all) will allow the surface to be cleaned, and when it gets dirty again, the artwork will return on its own.

Another example of Reverse Grafitti using a soot encrusted tunnel as a canvas.

7 Likes

You must logon to continue…

Or maybe not.

3 Likes

Putin and trump are both pretty dirty I wonder if he’d get by with using those dirtballs?

1 Like

At our uni we had an artistically talented (and brilliant) Polish student who could do an unusual thing with a newspaper and an eraser. He’d cleverly erase off the ink from the newspaper photos and thereby introduce ‘items’ or alternative scenarios into the photos (sort of adding by subtracting). The first artwork he showed us started with a benign photo of actor Robert Blake sitting at a table, with him tilted way back and laughing away at something. Nothing odd about that. But the totally black area under the table allowed our Polish artist to introduce an outrageously massive – and very realistic looking – penis into the scene, of course rooting out from the laughing Mr. Blake. That one got passed around so much at school that it didn’t survive the handling. It was beautiful.

2 Likes

If that were the case I would have never seen Andy Goldsworthy’s stuff.

7 Likes

“Medias?”

fifteen characters

Long before cellphone cameras, I saw one of these done as Iron Maiden’s Eddie.

1 Like

I guess the ability to infinitely reproduce the photo in contrast to the object is the difference. But yeah, it’s not as transient as a thunderstorm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.