India: Worst mass violence in Delhi in decades kills 13 during Trump visit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/25/delhi-violence.html

“Rioters roamed the streets with iron rods and wooden sticks, demanding to know whether people were Hindus or Muslims. Mosques were damaged and shops were set ablaze”

4 Likes

Biff and his staff are taking careful notes* on how Modi accomplished this as they plan for their second term. A similar comprehensive citizenship law formalising their existing depredations and adding new ones is no doubt at the top of the agenda.

[* Ok, Biff, being effectively illiterate, isn’t actually writing things down]

23 Likes

Birthright citizenship is enshrined in the Constitution, and it’s intentionally difficult to get an Amendment passed.

So, we’ve got that goin’ for us. Which is nice.

15 Likes

Trump and Company must be so proud.

8 Likes

As a nondualist, it really, really disgusts me that people who claim to be Hindu could engage in violence against Muslims, just because they’re Muslim. There have been Indian Muslims for shit, over 800 years? Modi himself apparently studied Advaita Vedanta (the nondualist and predominant Hindu philosophy), and alas, he seems to have missed what is essentially the single message: ALL is ONE.

WTF?!?!?! :confounded::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph:

13 Likes

For fu#ks sake citizens of India, keep him, and do what you want! Stop killing each other, your neighbor is not your enemy.

10 Likes

I’m more concerned about naturalised citizens and immigrants. These right-wing populist scumbags will start (and already have started) disenfranchising more vulnerable immigrants, but they’ll work their way along the ladder of nativism toward any immigrant who opposes the regime.

18 Likes

As a qualified non-dualist (vishishtadvaita), I share your horror.

7 Likes

“We did talk about religious freedom, and I will say that the prime minister was incredible on what he told me,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “He wants people to have religious freedom, and very strongly.”

7 Likes

What is the Hindi word for “Pogrom?”

9 Likes

45 has no idea that this word means the opposite of credible.

13 Likes

Kristallnacht

8 Likes

(Between you and me, I heavily lean toward a more “nuanced” Visistadvaita & Bhedabheda-oriented approach myself.) :slight_smile: :om:

3 Likes

Once again, that’s great if the constitution still applied. I see precious little sign of that under Il Douche.

13 Likes

B/c religion, which is very easy to exploit for political reasons.
One example of many: Trump’s most reliable base, the evangelicals, on their way to a far-right nationalist-governed America.

9 Likes

Look how effective the emoluments clause has been in keeping this guy in check!

10 Likes

Let’s not forget:

12 Likes

I’m definitely more concerned about people than money. That said, Congress has failed the populous by not removing the Criminal in Chief from office over more overt corruption than violating the emoluments clause.

11 Likes

I was unaware of this until I saw coverage by John Oliver:

10 Likes

I wonder if the monkey heads - or butts - glow when you place your hands on them, like that cool Saudi orb.

8 Likes