Indiana judge rules that tacos and burritos are sandwiches

I was decidedly not talking about sandwich definitions! (That way lies madness.)

I was talking about the definition of ‘made-to-order’ that was used to reach the decision in the OP. Yes you could get a ‘special’ made-to-order product every time you go to McDonalds or wherever, but the core proposition is not ‘build your own mix of contents’, it’s ‘have some grilled meat with some trimmings in a bun’.

I guess you could go to a burger joint and have a ‘sandwich’ (madness alert: it’s a bun or a roll, not a sandwich, which requires two slices from a loaf of bread) made with all of your fillings except the beef (though I can’t quite see the point).

The average burger joint has a far smaller range of filling options than a sandwich bar, and the core filling is the burger itself, not the trimmings. And trimmings is what they are, not sandwich ‘fillings’.

@Kilkrazy Thanks for that cartoon. Nobody in UK has ever called a burger a sandwich, so in our language it is not. Neither is a filled baguette, a roll or bun, a burrito, a wrap, a hot dog, or anything else that we do not call ‘a sandwich’. :wink:

2 Likes

Phew, this Indiana judge has never visited the BBS, clearly.

Nothing’s that simple, m’learned friend.

:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Like Subway isn’t ‘fast food’.

Good grief!

Maybe it was the cooking smells the condo owners wanted to avoid.

Also, it is developers getting away with this kind of shit that encourages them to do it more. They should have been forced to demolish the mall. Enforcement has many benefits.

5 Likes

…would enjoy a chat with the UK judges who decided a Jaffa cake was not a biscuit, that VAT wasn’t due on M&S Teacakes because they were zero rated cakes, not VATable biscuits.

And the ones who determined that Pringles are, in fact, crisps, and that Walkers Sensations poppadoms are also crisps. (The key issue here being they are ‘snacks’ and not ‘foodstuffs’ for VAT purposes.)

1 Like

Razed, unless they actually jacked the house up, and built the strip mall at ground level…

8 Likes

This court doesn’t think Subway bread is bread

I am inclined to agree.

7 Likes

Now I want a burrito with an edible zipper…

Of course that can’t be a pizza. It contains pineapple!!!

buffy the vampire slayer no GIF

7 Likes

hold-me-back-2034627362

6 Likes

That would be impressive. Much more impressive than my spelling. (fixed it)

2 Likes

I would just like to say that I spotted one of our local food trucks parked across the street today before I had lunch, as opposed to the numerous times I didn’t see it until after lunch. I had a steak burrito and oh my was it delicious! I don’t care if it’s a sandwich or not (it’s not), but I’ll be happy to see that lovely truck out there again in the future.

7 Likes

Can’t lie, a little bit of me was living in hope that I was in error.

4 Likes

gun hd GIF

5 Likes

How are we supposed to argue with that??

4 Likes

There is an inhabited ait in Henley-on-Thames. It floods fairly often, and it’s been getting worse thanks to climate change. A few years ago the householders paid something like £70,000 each to have their houses raised.

1 Like

:grin: Exactly!

It was a very close thing getting to my nesting partner’s office with my food. I thought at least three staff members were going to mug me for that delightful smell alone!

(“Hey, Eff, I may need help with a computer in my department. Can you put the burrito down on my desk next to me and go look at that one way on the other side of the department?”)

4 Likes

My favorite song about this:

3 Likes

But what about…

2 Likes

Chimichanga.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.