Indiana’s oldest state employee retiring at 102

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/15/indianas-oldest-state-emplo.html

‘I got good lungs’

12 Likes

I hope I look as good when I reach 62.

10 Likes

Considering how much his pension must have been worth compared to his paycheck, he’s been working for free for decades. I can’t even imagine loving a job that much.

5 Likes

I wonder if he retired at some point and started to collect pension, and then got rehired.
Or if he could collect pension at age 60 while working. Because usually state pensions are mandatory contribution.

4 Likes

Oh right, I forgot about the mandatory contribution part. So he wasn’t working for free, he was paying to work.

2 Likes

He gets to futz about outside in a bunch of different beautiful environments. Is there a job opening where he’s at? Evaluating my life choices…

7 Likes

Probably the only person who still knew how to change the typewriter ribbons.

5 Likes

I’ve worked as a surveyor. It’s pretty fun in the summer, but sucks butt in the winter, in the northeast anyway. Also, it was always a downer to know that the purpose of my tramping through the beautiful wilderness was to measure it for the coming construction/development project.

3 Likes

My grandmother just celebrated her 99th all while drinking her bourbon and planning for the next one. Birthday that is.

Here’s to long lives!

9 Likes

Nobody likes a quitter, Bob

10 Likes

It’s a little more fun to imagine her planning her next bourbon. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I like her style. My wife helped care for an elderly woman who would have a glass of Wild Turkey and 7-Up every day at 6pm. She lived to be 97. At her memorial service/celebration-of-her-life guests were given little gift bags with reminders of some of her favorite things. Each gift bag also contained a mini bottle of Wild Turkey.

4 Likes

I feel like he took the place of someone else who could have had an entire career this guy worked past retirement eligibility. Good on him for liking his job so much, but should have volunteered time instead.

Vollmer the Ranger.

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.