Indiana State Rep. threatens student with his gun

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

3 Likes

Flashing a gun isn’t “having a conversation”

10 Likes

Unless he thinks that an “adult” wouldn’t be affected by his doing so, in which case, why have it? Another example of Indiana’s finest getting elected. Remember, Mike Pence is from there. While there are many fine people in the state they do seem to elect the wrong ones.

1 Like

6 Likes

“gOoD gUY witH a gUN”

1 Like

I didn’t see the video but the headline here says he threatened the student with it. How can he still be walking free if he threatened to shoot a student?

2 Likes

I nearly read that brand as Prosecco!

(I do not know if the rest of that label applies to Prosecco drinkers. That would be bad stereotyping.) :wink:

2 Likes

yeah. felony or domestic violence conviction is the thing that does it in indiana. it appears as of 2022 you don’t even need a license.

the court can order it in some cases anyway, but it isn’t automatic

( via or via )

4 Likes

You an’ me both, friend. :smiley: Pro-so-co. I really had to look at it (just look at it!) when I found the image. Bet it’s short for summat daft like Professional Solutions Co/mpany/rporation. :roll_eyes: tophat-rolleyes tophat-no rolleyes fish tophat-biggrin

3 Likes

Looking at the video @OhHai posted, even if it was reported to police I don’t think he’d get charged with anything, and if he did it wouldn’t stick.
He pretty carefully never really puts a hand near the gun, and when he’s holding the jacket open, he is holding it high and wide.

So, he was either;
a) doing the thing smarter bullies do when they do or say something they know you’ll take as a threat, but is ambiguous enough they can plausibly deny intending to make a threat.
Or b) Is so immersed in gun culture, and carrying a concealed weapon is so normalized to him, that he genuinely didn’t realize showing his gun to illustrate a point in his argument would be taken as a threat.

I’d lean towards a) myself, because c’mon… but b) is possible, and almost as problematic in its own way.

4 Likes

Hmmph. Tough guy. Wonder how tough he’d be cornered in an alley without the gun.

5 Likes

The whole argument enrages me.

Well, the supreme court has ruled the police don’t have to protect you.

So all you can do is arm the students and teachers. I mean, 6 year olds compete in shooting tournaments.

And the interviewers are saying, but wait, can’t just just do something to protect us. Nope…out of my hands. But I carry my own piece. You should do the same.

/s

3 Likes

i find that option to be impossible. especially given his completely f’d up response:

Lucas made light of the interaction when reached by the outlet, saying he was “simply showing an inanimate object” to explain his defense of guns… “People that want to have adult conversations, I think, need to be able to handle adult situations.”

he was very clearly trying to get them to shut up. and i think his point is that he can get away with it because he’s a white conservative man in a state where white conservatives have power.

he’s also implying he can get away with doing more.

4 Likes

I did see the video. He didn’t threaten anyone. The student he was conversing with didn’t react as if threatened either.

Wrong. He is having a conversation with high school students who have informed him of the trauma they have experienced as a result of school shootings, the inaction of their school districts, and his proposals to allow schools to set their own carry policies. When his bad faith arguments and goalpost shifting don’t shut down the argument, at one point, he shows them he is carrying a gun. This is threatening behavior. And he knows it. He had even asked them how familiar they were with guns.

8 Likes

Came here to suggest that, perhaps, it’s why he carries a firearm in the first place.

ETA:

Would he say the same thing if he’d flashed his johnson?

4 Likes

Stephen Colbert Laughing GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

3 Likes

So you’ve never seen a movie or TV show where someone draws back their coat to reveal a gun at their waist? It’s absolutely a threat, meant to intimidate the person they are facing.

And how would reacting in fear look? Running away screaming? Freezing and/or trying to calm the situation are legitimate (and adult) reactions too.

9 Likes

I suspect he’d be a bundle of nerves walking unarmed through a farmer’s market on a Saturday morning. He’s a bully and a coward.

6 Likes

His ilk wants teachers to have firearms in the classroom in order to protect students from assailants with assault rifles, yet the armed and armored “police” (read “cowards”) in Uvalde wouldn’t confront a gunman killing their own neighbor’s children and the wife of one of their own LEOs. Police won’t confront a gunman, yet these GQP Rambos expect teachers to do it? Pathetic.

3 Likes