Indonesian Muslim cleric condemns selfies; Indonesian women are all, like, LOL as if!

Saturday night and it’s all right!

I concur wholeheartedly. I think we also have enough snaps of the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, the Sphinx.

Etc.

3 Likes

In this case, a prematurely-dried young man. In his pictures (presumably none of them selfies) he looks about twenty. This is what happens when young men can’t get laid.

4 Likes

Just one small aspect of the Global War On Fun. I plan to denounce it as soon as I chase those damn kids off my lawn.

4 Likes

Selfies are ok. But if you are over the age of 7 and own a selfie stick you need to reexamine your life.

1 Like

I hated that movie.

1 Like

If this guy weren’t a cleric he’d be an MRA or pick-up artist type. Choose your misogynist poison.

2 Likes

Why is that again? Thankfully, and this should be self-evident given the topic, the judgment of one asshole about what is or is not acceptable for others is in no way authoritative.

1 Like

It was a joke. Lighten up. Selfie stick it up. Enjoy.

1 Like

“Look at those sinful harlots, revealing those soft, smooth faces. Their just taunting and daring males with those scandalous noses and eyebrows, because they want it and want…I will be back in 5 minutes to expose my, uh these naughty and treacherous women”

sincerely,
Your Righteous Cleric

5 Likes

Yes indeed! Many (most?) won’t admit it, but pleas for modesty basically just scream:

I have no self discipline with regards to my own sex drive! YOU need to fix it, NOW. This is all your fault.

4 Likes

The MRAs are just pissed that they don’t live in a country where they can have power over women by virtue of being a muslim cleric.

1 Like

Indonesia can just fuck the hell right off with their sanctimonious bullshit.

Their asshole president has refused clemency for scores of prisoners on death row on drugs charges, because somehow shooting people who committed drugs crimes a decade ago sends a message to would-be drug traffickers… except that they’ve put many to death on drugs charges prior to all these death row inmates committing their crimes.

Indonesia is corrupt as fuck, and morally bankrupt. Fuck them, fuck their asshole president and especially fuck their religious clerics.

Surely there is no shortage of Christian spiritual leaders who have condemned selfies and have generally been ignored beyond their local congregations?

I guess the difference here is that Mr. Siauw is a “popular Indonesian author and speaker”, but if this is the sort of thing he’s saying, then why is he popular?

Could be the trainwreck-in-progress kind of popular?

I think what has gotten to be so repulsive about “selfies” is that they are essentially narcissistic. Too many pictures of young women and men who think that the world really needs a photo of them.

I contrast this with the self-portrait, which is usually more artistic in nature where the self has to stand in when no subject can be found. I also think of self-portraits as introspective or documentary vs. the selfie’s plain old look-at-me feel.

1 Like

Word to your Mullah

5 Likes

Agreed. But the problem is that if you’re raised in it you can’t see the world from outside it. It takes an aware person willing to challenge his or her own beliefs to break out, and not too many people like challenging their own beliefs. It’s really uncomfortable.

In my case, I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend who was a little more clear thinking on the subject. Combined with my initial low propensity for religious activity I was able to become skeptical about not just religion, but about all things.

At the individual level, yes, totally. But when we move forward as a society, eventually super-religious will just be marginalized like someone that thinks the earth is flat.
Their voice will reduced by reason and only a few will hang around. That’s what I hope, at least.

These things, I am afraid, come in cycles.

1 Like