Indonesian Muslim cleric condemns selfies; Indonesian women are all, like, LOL as if!

Let’s talk about the purity of Muslim men. For so long women are made to be pillars of modesty and purity yet the men are not even adhering to the same standards.

If not religion it would be government. China already has it claws in dictating what is moral and not for its people. Only a handful of movies from the outside make it in via the government. Their country is very atheistic. You have the American government dictating what a woman can and cannot do with her own body. The USA was founded on god-fearing principles but as a whole the country is not a Christian country (if it were there wouldn’t be murder, adultery and other abhorrences). You also have the Russian government who is dictating sexuality and hurt its own LGBT communities and none of that is being pushed by a religious entity it is the GOVERNMENT spearheading this. So you see, even if you wanted to oust religion something else will step up and still cause problems. Government is already at the batting cage smacking balls into the outfield.

Btw, religions will not go away. Man always wants to worship something be it a god or himself.

This I think is inaccurate. The US was founded by people who were mostly deists. This was the closest to a popularly acceptable form of agnosticism. Their use of Providence or Nature’s God was not really a personal deity such as in Christianity, but basically equivalent to “nature” or “the universe”. Christianity only became much of a political factor in the US much later.

1 Like

No lie: a friend of mine recently said to her boss during her review “I wish you’d give me some feedback on what I’m doing well. You only ever tell me what you don’t like about what I’m doing.”

Boss says “You sound like my wife.”

I’m pretty sure my friend works for the biggest A-hole on two legs in the English-speaking world.

I find it interesting how Xeni seems to present these sorts of things as monolithic responses, in a way that she almost certainly wouldn’t do in a Western setting (see, e.g., Japanese Twitter users mercilessly mock ISIS with memes). Maybe, in the case of Indonesia, this really is as universal a response as the Je suis Charlie Hebdo movement was in France; I don’t know, and neither does she. But it’s certainly not presented with much nuance, and the suggestion that the Japanese twitter mockery reflected popular sentiment there was risible.

I think your friend missed the compliment she was fishing for there.
Okay, maybe not.

Yeah, no, dude is just another asshole misogynist with a little bit of power.

Much like the guy in this headline.

Right, but that presumes that the faith of the founding fathers informed the world view of the colonists/early Americans. In fact, the second great awakenings gave rise to a bewildering patchwork of faiths, some just splinters of Baptists or Methodists, some just entirely new in many ways (especially all the odd, utopian faiths that attempted to deal with the role of women in society). Faith was indeed a political force early on in American life. The backbone of the abolitionist movement was religious (generally Quaker, but not only), as was temperance, and other social movements.

I had to look up “second great awakening”, it sounds like an intriguing ecosystem of ethical debate.

Reminds me that I was exposed to Quaker culture via some friends in NY, and wonder where they are now.

Also, I should mention that while it may apply specifically to the examples you mentioned, that conflating faith and religion can be rather problematic. I encounter this used a lot to exclude Eastern, indigenous, and generally non-Abrahamic religions.

The Second Great awakening had some weird, utopian ideas going on. Groups like the Mormons and the Onedians formed them, and they had some wacky, radical ideas, especially about sexuality and the role of women in a communal society. We think of it as just a sort of pedestrian, protestant thing, but some truly wild ideas came out of this time period. But it was an interesting thing to see the debates going on about all sorts of things.

Your friend or the quakers. The Quakers are still around, and I drive past a Quaker church almost every week day.

Agreed. But here we are specifically talking about monotheistic Abrahamic religions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.