Industrial robots playing traditional instruments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/18/industrial-robots-playing-trad.html

2 Likes

And don’t forget Pat Metheny’s Orchestrion.

1 Like

5 Likes

I went from being somewhat impressed, to being fairly amazed, to wondering what the hell. If they ever serve up a guide to how much of that was real, clue me please.

4 Likes

Gives industrial music a brand new meaning.

1 Like

Given how terribly fake that… plasma cutter? Laser cutter? Death ray? thing is at the beginning, I really don’t see why we should accept any of the rest of it as real. They just had to try to sex it up some, instead of trusting in their own premise. What a shame!

4 Likes

Yeah, the “making of”-video notwithstanding, most of that looks and sounds fake as all hell.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a sexy music video, fake or no fake.
But basically, it’s the same as a pianola - a mechanical device is programmed by a human operator to play a song.

That ended well!

So which door would you choose?

1. Dobruski’s Animusic 2011 https://youtu.be/XlyCLbt3Thk

Or

1. Wurlitzer’s CX 1912 https://youtu.be/wyeWMPjQ12Q

Anecdotal kibitzing time: Having worked on and around arms like these, they can be surprisingly fluid and dexterous, so I could see the bass or the piano being plausible. A lot of the others look pretty fake; obvious one is the ‘plasma cutter’, the light reflections look off on most shots, and the movement on the drum arms for example looks too light, if that makes any sense. Arms like those have plenty of inertia.

Another thing is those things are not all that quiet, especially moving at full chat. I imagine a skilled sound engineer could clean up recordings if needed, but if they’re all or mostly CGI to begin with then there’s no noise to clean up…

2 Likes

State of the Art robotic control system in use here.*

please insert 5 cents

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

My new band name: “wanky pantomime”.

again boing boing, where’s my comment? it’s no less favorable than the others

my previous comment, the first one to go up i think, was awaiting moderation yet this one above went up straight away.
Basically I called out that a lot of the audio was clearly not being generated by the bots and that it reminded me of my dabblings in robotic arm automation in the early 80’s (though that was with an 8080 and a crude stepper motor driven claw)

1 Like

The shot around 2:10 where he’s walking through three operating arms appears to have some movie magic going on (compositing artifacts when the arms pass in front of him) . Thankfully so, because doing that for real is seriously dangerous.

Agreed, the obvious CGI fakery diminishes it. A more honest presentation demonstrating a feat of robotics and composition would have come off as impressive, but this can’t be trusted at all. By the time things started exploding I was turning it off.

Kuka has a history of overselling their robot’s abilities for marketing purposes, like the table tennis clip from last year. This should not be viewed as as product demonstration but as a music video for marketing, and I’m fairly sure that’s what it is intended as. Seems to work quite well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.