InfoWars will pay $15k to creator of Pepe the Frog in lawsuit settlement

If by “illness” you mean “bullets”. If I remember right (haven’t seen it since it aired) when he was saving Jessie his 50-cal trunk trap ended up shooting him too, and he made his way out to their drug lab before dying.

Kinda like the way the Romans copied the Greeks way back in the day. (as I recall from my art history lessons ages ago)

Possibly, IANL, especially not a copyright L. But so little effort was made to “transform” it from the source that I feel like there should be a case here. But my feelings don’t matter when it comes to the law. I would say, if I were the artist and not a Trump fan, seeing it would make me hella mad.

To break the transformation down:

• both are duotone, one with red and one with green.
  • the silhouette of the foreground images is essentially the same.
  • the placements angles of all of the heads is essentially the same, up to and including the big pouting Walter/Trump heads, and the small staring off the to the right Walter/Trump heads.
  • the Info Wars poster has “MAGA” in the place of “Breaking Bad” and was made to look somewhat like a graffiti tag (IMO).

Without a doubt, the Info Wars “artist” copied the Breaking Bad poster. If I were on the jury, unless it was explained to me how this was artwork that was transformative enough to not be copying the original, I would vote against them.

I’m pretty sure it couldn’t be protected under “parody” either, but that’s the only way I can see getting away with staying so visually close to the source material.

2 Likes

I think because it’s more like “parrot-y”. :parrot:

I apparently remember this completely wrong. I didn’t really watch much of the show so I guess my memory decided it could take some liberties.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.