Insane ledge jumping on Hong Kong skyscraper

it gets me in the nut sack …

To be clear, I’m not suggesting murder-pr0n ala Faces of Death - but life that is shown without consequences leads to an unrealistic sense of safety.

Did that toe belong to a “tumbler” in a gym? Yea, that sucks, I’ve dislocated a toe doing Aikido break falls, but never anything like that. (and ankles, wrists, and shoulders…)

3 Likes

See, I get noth’n - prolly due to my own adrenaline addiction - from which I’m still healing from my last adrenaline induced activity that resulted in major surgery…

Yeah, Alex Honnold gets discussed a lot around our house. So far, we all agree he’s an idiot. Let’s hope it stays that way. I did my time in extreme sport, kayaking class V, but nothing was as suicidal as Honnold or this:

2 Likes

Also, the soles of my feet definitely ache as well, @frauenfelder. I wonder what causes that.

8 Likes

Exactly. You find the deceaced ones one LiveLeak but that’s not where most people are.

1 Like

Imagine getting up from where you are now and walking to the nearest bathroom. Are you worried that you will fall and hurt yourself? Now extrude all of the points where you stepped to hundreds of feet into the air. What’s the difference? If you were unlikely to spontaneously fall over before, why would this change significantly at a different altitude/elevation?

3 Likes

Perception is reality.

1 Like

I get that but it’s not an objective point of view. If you are balancing in high altitude over a tight ledge, you are subject to different risks that can suddenly occur. Wind is an issue, but that may be controllable. A much stronger one may be that something shrieks you up. It happened to me and I fell once while free climbing. Luckily, it was just 10 meters down and I got a giant bulge on my forehead and a few fleshwounds. I was absolutely secure when I climbed. Also, you can get dizzy. It happens. There are so many things that can happen that wouldn’t in your bathroom and bang: you’re gone.

6 Likes

I used to work with high lesion quadropedics when I was younger. The most common age for such injuries is around the age of 18-19 which is the intersection of highest fitness and stupidity.

7 Likes

Double ditto on the tingly peepee, like it’s trying to crawl away.

Also reminds me of something my then-8-year-old said when we discovered a nest of ugly cave crickets in our garage: “It makes my bottom itch.”

4 Likes

Well, you don’t have to skydive into traffic, and pretty much no-one has to skydive to work. Even then, I’m pretty sure that per-minute-engaged, skydiving is going to have significantly higher fatalities.

Oh, wow, I just went through the link, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a more useless chart.

1 Like

Oleg’s video is nerve wracking but my feet feel about like they usually do. When someone tilts a wide angle lens in motion, I get a wee bit nauseas. I could use some dramamine now. :confounded:

I heard turtle-ing was an actual evolutionary result to protect bits when in danger.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “mean” in that sentence,

2 Likes

“The five year old grabbed the roof wall with his suntan lotion covered hands and peeked over the edge. It made him feel funny in a bad way when he looked down. His mother ran over and pulled him away, scolding him for going near the edge. Hours later a Russian teenager fell to his death after slipping on the invisible hand-prints…”

Something I’ve learned from rock-climbing. You are ALWAYS clipped into safety gear because you can NEVER predict what may go wrong. Not even one second unclipped.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Vacillating between scary stomach in mouth feeling to brain freak out “holy hell Hong Kong is insane” made me dizzy.

I don’t know… my bathroom is a crazy place.

The thing is - being gone would probably not be at all bothersome, I would not be aware of it. It seems more likely that the stress happens now by worrying about if I survive later. So I just try to not worry about how long I may live. Although admittedly, it does not always work.

Shout-out to all Boingers at 2:19.

1 Like