Watch record-breaking free solo slackline walk

[Read the post]

2 Likes

He doesn’t have to start over after falls? Disqualified.

2 Likes

The soles of my feet don’t do anything, but if I’m up high looking over, or sometimes even seeing someone else up high, I get an ache like I’ve just been kicked between the legs.

4 Likes

No effect on my feet… But this triggers my anxiety like nobody’s business.

2 Likes

These are difficult, because the line between “Yay! Nice job on the new record” and “Terrible news, as a talented athlete dies.”
I know it’s for everyone to calculate their own risk-reward equations, but this is a lot of risk for (it seems) very little reward.

1 Like

Yes, it’s ASMR.

Anticipating Sudden Mis-step Response.

6 Likes

as someone who enjoys slacklining (two feet above ground max), and mountains, and the outdoors, and most of all the feeling that i can rise to challenges and succeed, i celebrate folks whose athleticism and self-confidence lets them do things where the risk is lethal. a lot of people have abstracted their lives down to grinding for money so they can stay comfortable and unchallenged. that may technically still be a life, but it sure as hell ain’t living up to the potential that 150 million years of evolution gives us.

1 Like

“The soles of my feet start to hurt when I watch videos of people doing crazy high-elevation stunts. Does that happen to anyone else?”

Yes, but not just elevation related stimulus. Any time I see a person in real distress be it from great heights or some really gross blackhead video, my feet get this numb/diffused like pain. It’s a difficult to describe sensation.

I love to slackline too- and i understand the athleticism of people who are able to do these things. I think there’s a fair bit of ground between the living-on-the-edge and the grinding-for-the-money extremes.
I also have a hard time when the terms of that risk fall outside my control- wind gusts, lines snapping, etc etc. Risking my life when I’m in control of the risk is (maybe) ok, risking my life when there’s a (significant) random factor? Not so much. For me, anyway. To each their own, etc etc.

Agree with @nothingfuture. I personally think that you can appreciate the grace and courage of these folks while generally preferring them to, say, traverse slackline with a harness and a tether. Doesn’t eliminate the risk (equipment can fail) but puts this closer to sport than a grisly gawking.

For me, there’s inherent risk, and there’s stunt risk. Climbing is inherently dangerous. Climbing without a harness is a choice, and one I don’t want to reward.

1 Like

I also enjoy the slackline, and I have to say, watching a high elevation long slackline puts my stomach in a knot way more then a tightrope.

sometimes when i am on the edge of a sheer drop the soles of my feet will put oiut a burning sensation. it happens maybe 1 or 2 times out 100. height does not seem to be the trigger because i had the feeling looking out an open, unscreened 3rd floor window. sometimes it happens at a place i’ve been before. there’s a sheer drop at one part of enchanted rock in texas which i’ve been to a dozen or more times. twice i have had that feeling and the rest not.

1 Like

Do all you tingly feet people have what you would call a fear of heights? I’m not completely freaked out by them, but I have a hard time, say, going to rail of a balcony that’s more than a few floors up. And seriously, no foot sensations whatsoever for me, but it’s like the feeling after somebody just “lightly” kicked me in the balls. And I think it’s worse with watching family members–taking my kids to the grand canyon, I had a low grade ache there the whole while brought about by watching them run up to the edge all the time.

according to the rules of logical proofs, a single counterexample disproves the theorem. my answer to you, based on my own personal experiences, is no.

1 Like

The soles of my feet tingle when I see elevation stunts or if I approach a cliff or high edge… I call it butterfly feet. I haven’t met anybody else with this symptom.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.