Insane ledge jumping on Hong Kong skyscraper

yeah, it is

fuck nope

2 Likes

For me, it was just the fact that every time he jumped up onto a ledge, I couldn’t help but imagine that some of those tiles are loose, somewhere on that building.

6 Likes

Woops! Corrected the typo. ‘Different’ of course :slight_smile:

Yeah, exactly. Like I said. SO many thing that can go wrong and really, there’s no reason to act so foolish but I know best we do work had for that Darwin award at a certain age.

Yeah, I know that feel but honestly, being over 50 now I’m glad I survived my madness. There definitely is a suicidal element there and it’s not always healthy. Also, people care for you even when you don’t think they do.

While I agree to a level with you. Have you any idea how many people died in there bathroom?

4 Likes

There is not only one eight-inch-wide path to take from here to the bathroom. You can stumble or misstep without falling to your death. You probably do stumble and misstep more frequently than you really notice; when there are no consequences it’s not memorable.

3 Likes

I had a scuba instructor tell me. “There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers.”

5 Likes

I’m wondering if the foot ache is evolutionary too, maybe the shadow of an arboreal response to grab onto a limb for dear life.

1 Like

Is it supposed to be “makes” and not “make?” I thought since I was talking about plural videos it should be “make” - “these kinds of videos make my feet hurt” vs “this kind of video makes my feet hurt.”

I am probably wrong, though. Grammar is not my strong suit.

2 Likes

You’re correct with “make.” (Watching videos make my feet hurt.)

Gerunds are weird.

You know what they say about free climbers: you never see a gray-haired one.

1 Like

Or clones. Many many clones.

My other screen is showing little girls on the balance beam.

It is not the same.

Fight or flight reaction, which causes misjudged steps. That’s just one of a myriad of really straightforward answers to your question.

Here’s an even more fundamental difference: What you’re describing (the steps you took to the bathroom) are in the past. Extruding those footprints upwards in the way you’re describing makes them a target, i.e. in the future.

It’s the difference between throwing a ball a onto a spot that is marked afterwards and hitting a previously-marked spot of the same size.

Dope!

(If I was of the age and mentality to find this appealing.)

Would you post a failed suicide attempt online?

@wreckrobeight I have no idea what you’re saying. I promised myself that even if I got old I wouldn’t be a fogey. I love defying death through feats of athleticism, and I’ll never crap on someone else for doing something awesome and believing in themselves more than society at large. I wish everyone was like that.

He pulled it off, how can you say “you’ll never pull it off” (he’s sure to fail)?

What he’s doing would be no less dangerous 30 feet up, BTW (and possible worse in terms of being a burden on friends/family/society). The extreme height adds drama, but no real consequences. Experienced climbers have this deeply internalized.

The technique isn’t anything crazy. This is a dead simple thing anyone could do, if they got over the fear. The conquering of fear… that’s impressive.

What does ‘correct’ mean? As long as the meaning is clear it is correct even if unconventional. Were ‘mean’ to fluctuate between subjunctive and indicative with no means of disambiguation that would be another matter.

WTF: “fluctuate between subjunctive and indicative… disambiguation”…

Edit: I dropped into an big english grammar… thing. Sorry. Grammar is the least interesting thing in the world to me. I see everybody’s using terms like those…*

It’s crazy to me that people are focusing their expressive powers on expressing thoughts about how other people should express themselves.

I do work in a technical field where expressiveness and conciseness ARE highly valued. We don’t pay by the word. I do know geniuses who can’t talk for shit, but they can get an idea across, one way or another. That’s why the details about the rules bore me. I think we’re on the same side. I saw your comment out of context. I think we agree, actually. Sorry.

* You guys seriously derailed a thread about an insanely awesome thing to talk about grammar? Please don’t do that.

@SBarsinister Always or never. Free climbers do ok. What you don’t want to do is get mixed up. Always be aware when you’re one moment away from death.

1 Like