Insanely detailed VR simulation of a Kmart

Originally published at: Insanely detailed VR simulation of a Kmart | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Someone has to come up with a way to feed the user’s nose with that distinct Kmart smell.

5 Likes

I just remember all the chewing gum stuck on the sidewalk near every entrance. And the worn out paint chipped mechanical toy horses. The smell was unusual. If cheap had a smell that was it.

5 Likes

Ahhh the heady smell of poorly bleached children’s pee and that ever-present-yet-vague smell of mildew. Thems were the days!

5 Likes

How about this for a consolation prize

pghdadthumb

7 Likes

Oh my, I’ve been there.

Shame the VRChat community is on fire this week due to the stupid moves by the platform. Hell, I’m physically frustrated by the move to remove all mods. (The default menu placement is too low and it hurts me to look that far down.

1 Like

People Make Games did a really good video on VRChat, and interviews a couple people involved.

Linky jumps straight to the K, but whole thing is worth a watch.

3 Likes

Does it have the little cart with the blue light on it?

1 Like

My grandma worked in the diner in one of Birmingham’s stores back in the day.

4 Likes

They forgot to include the carts full of returns/car batteries next to the courtesy counter.

3 Likes

I worked at Mr and Mrs. Fry Food Store ( later Fry’s kids started the electronic stores) there is a certain ‘fragrance’ to that place I will never forget. Real butchers cutting up whole animals contributed a lot.

3 Likes
5 Likes

“Attention, liminal space shoppers!”

4 Likes

Fry’s Electronics (at least the one that was located in Canoga Park, CA) was also known for nasty cuts. They would routinely restock returned items, apparently in the hope that buyers would be too troubled to return them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.