Listen: Kmart in-store music/announcements cassette from 1989

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/listen-kmart-in-store-music-a.html

1 Like

blue-light

8 Likes

This was from about a year before I started working there in high school, but that’s definitely the same announcer’s voice and the same sort of musak I remember hearing on repeat.

The treasure trove of Kmart music can be found here.

6 Likes

Came here to point out /attentionkmartshoppers since it oddly wasn’t linked (and I’m pretty sure I found it via bb in the first place).

Play this at your next family/friends/picnic/d&d group gathering and see how long it takes for someone to say something.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder how many synthwave artists are gonna abuse these tracks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, inadvertently didn’t include the link.

1 Like

Manager: “No, Roxanne. You really don’t have to turn on the blue light.”

4 Likes

KMart used to have a cafeteria in its stores. So did JC Penny. I don’t recall Sears having one. Did anyone else? I guess Target has one these days, but in our local Target store, they remodeled and outsourced it to Yum (ie, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, I think).

But in the old days, I recall JC Penny had more than a snack shack, it was a full on cafeteria with meals, not just fast food crap.

4 Likes

When I first started at Kmart they still had the old “Kcafe”, but they were changed out chain-wide for Little Caesars the same year. As a high school kid I remember being infuriated with their policy of garbage-smashing all of the leftover pizza every night to make sure nobody could eat it – either employees or homeless folks.

2 Likes

Exactly my thought. It’s practically a vaporwave starter kit.

4 Likes

And it had that unforgettable smell to it. (Popcorn machine, maybe?)

3 Likes

This is what they use at Guantánamo against the most recalcitrant detainees.
They don’t have to use it very much or play it for very long.

I think we just broke a Federal Law.

RobJ

2h

KMart used to have a cafeteria in its stores. So did JC Penny. I don’t recall Sears having one. Did anyone else?

Woolworth’s had a cafe & also a pet department, resulting in a unique amalgam of smells.

3 Likes

Oh, oh! I remember cassettes! I remember how when you would press rewind or fast forward, ya know, it would actually rewind or fast forward.

I have a specific memory of having lunch with my mom when I was around 7 or 8 at a JC Penney restaurant. I think the reason I recall it is that I had a burger and it came on a whole wheat bun which was pretty traumatizing to second- or third-grade me.

1 Like

In Wichita, Sears only had a candy/popcorn kiosk. But they had Swedish Fish, a hard-to-score type of candy in 70’s Wichita. There was already a very good cafeteria downtown called Furr’s, which no store could compete against. But there was a neat walkway from Sears to the parking garage across the street 2 stories up. Five-year-old me thought that was the coolest thing.
Another cool thing was the Twin Lakes shopping center JCPenney that had a gentle, sloping stairway from the upper floor to the lower, winding around a fountain feature where people threw pennies.

Nordstrom has a cafe. You order at the counter and someone brings it to your table. Pretty good food, too.

2 Likes

This is probably my favorite punk song about shopping at Kmart

1 Like