Insiders: America's largest chain of psych hospitals kidnaps people seeking care, drugs and holds them until they're out of insurance

Apparently the only distinction is whether you’re insured or not.

It’s worse than that. The ones being admitted don’t get any meaningful help at all because there isn’t a trained staff to actually help them. They just have all their insurance drained so that when they’re finally booted they won’t be able to afford help at a facility that could have helped them.

5 Likes

I’m not a trained mental health professional; but I feel I can spot a sick country when I see one.

11 Likes

Former UHS employee here: can confirm corporate culture of greed. Profit over people every day.

8 Likes

And that’s why crony capitalists have no place in government. And it’s also why medicine absolutely can’t be profit-driven. Because it leads inevitably to evil shit happening to the helpless, for a profit.

I have a co-worker who has to cough up $800 for a 1.5km ambulance ride. He can’t pay it. Even if he did cancel all subscriptions and went through bankruptcy. And it’s not like a bankruptcy lawyer and trial would cost him less than $800 (which he can’t even afford) anyway. He had an undiagnosed bone problem with his spine, and his spine and it just gave out while he was at work. He couldn’t fucking get up, so of course you call 911. And what do you get? Insane costs and debt. For being sick. He’s an otherwise healthy guy. And now he’s fucked over due to a freak accident of genetics and nature.

It’s evil to exploit people that way. Financially expecting people to shop around in an emergency is immoral. This isn’t a moral panic. It’s basic fucking human decency. And while the republicans and libertarians like to say “corporations are made out of people”, that’s not true. Corporations like insurance companies, and hospitals are made out of rules and contracts. Which means we the people, who ultimately charter these organizations (their corporate declaration and tax status and the validity of both is, if you read the law, completely at the pleasure of the government) Since we are the government there’s gotta be a way forward to put an end to this kind of abuse.

24 Likes

And I thought rohan syndrome was the worst thing a person had to worry about during such an assessment…

1 Like

Totally agree.

Isn’t abuse inevitable when we have a hierarchical state at the top, corporations in the middle, and the population at the bottom? I’m not sure meaningful reform is possible within the framework constructed to resist it. Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

1 Like

You appear to have swapped the strata from where they currently reside.

7 Likes

22 Likes

unnatural sexual practices

My homophobia-sniffing dog is barking like crazy.

9 Likes

Our friend the remote viewer finally got himself locked up?

3 Likes

Dripping in the blood of cows too lazy to choose a more humane slaughterhouse.

3 Likes

Transphobia too, although I would be very surprised it porkchopius knew the difference.

7 Likes

Apparently autocorrect didn’t agree with psych. Ha!

1 Like

I hate that it’s so hit and miss depending on facility, state, county. I read that nurses make about two years in that environment, so I feel good that I made ten. It’s high burnout.

3 Likes

I agree. In general, conservatives and Republicans are much less interested in the people’s general welfare, and much more interested in letting business do pretty much what it wants. I.e., deregulation. This can be demonstrated by so many examples; their hostility to Medicare, Social Security, labor laws, the minimum wage, etc. The fact that the company is failing (?) is immaterial to the main point of the article, it seems to me.

I think this all comes back to the "profits at ANY cost attitude that has overtaken corporate thinking, even to the point of outright criminal activity. E.g., the Wells Fargo scandal and dieselgate scandals.

Thank you, GOP. And especially Ronald Reagan.

8 Likes

Color me totally unsurprised. When the profit motive gets tied up with health care, this is the kind of shit that happens.

3 Likes

1 Like

Always a classic!

Shouldn’t worker’s compensation cover that?

1 Like

Why aren’t the insane on the street the way Saint Reagan intended?

1 Like