Instead of a waterbed, how about a sand bed?

Is there a trick to this kinda bag? The price sure seems to imply it… :wink:

Because if it’s just a bag full of sand, I can’t quite understand why you’d want to sleep on it. Sand is not a nice surface to lie on for any extended period of time…

2 Likes

An inch-thick layer of latex and a sheepskin sounds pretty comfy, all by itself…

5 Likes

irrespective of moving plans, you’re going to want to give your floor joists a looong look before you sleep on this bed.

8 Likes

Up to now, the heaviest things you would have in a house would be a full shelf of books, or a full bathtub. Upright piano comes lower than both of these. The bed is large, so if it has enough legs, or goes straight on the floor, then this is not a problem. If it isn’t then it will probably end up on the floor, so problem solved anyhow. It is probably OK in a flat: I don’t see these going down many floors like the piano in ‘The Aristocats’, but don’t come crying to me when it does.

3 Likes

Assuming the bed lays flat on the floor, not on posts it works out to ~22 pounds per square foot.

Most current building codes assume a load of 40 pounds per square foot.

7 Likes

Large aquariums can have more capacity, with a smaller footprint, than bathtubs. I occasionally worry about my spouse’s aquarium in our creaky old house.

1 Like

what? not crashproof?

6 Likes

Kind of sounds like you married a mermaid. I hope the tank is big enough :open_mouth:

10 Likes

I had a waterbed and kittens… it could hardly be worse than that.

5 Likes

Well, if you plan on moving from the top floor to the basement…

/Yeah, I knew about the building code. It applies to water beds too.

3 Likes

My current mattress is quite firm. And I paid a little extra to get the low-emission, all-natural (not even latex) mattress (horse-hair, cotton, etc) from IKEA.

Mind you, there have been lots of times that I’ve said that I could sleep on a bag of sand. At Parcs Canada ‘primitive camping’ sites, they provide sand-filled cribs where you set your tent up - so as to minimize the environmental damage to only those sites. They’re pretty comfortable to sleep on. Especially when you’ve been hiking all day, carrying a 25-30 kg pack.

2 Likes

Try mounting it on a sand bed.

2 Likes

This raises a lot of questions. It looks like it’s reasonably tightly packed, but then surely it would be near enough solid? And if that’s the case I wonder if tightly-packed buckwheat wouldn’t be a much-lighter alternative.

Personally I like really firm spring mattresses, so it sort of baffles me how almost all new mattress designs involve a thick gooey layer of foam on top. Memory foam is especially horrifying. Like falling asleep in a sucking mud pit.

5 Likes

Sounds like a variation on a pebble bed is what you need… (Perhaps add a mist of water to the flow.)

9 Likes

Kind of sounds like you married a mermaid. I hope the tank is big enough :open_mouth:

Heh! I am the mermaid (Clan MacLaren ancestry; legend has it a mermaid was one of the early founders of the clan, and somebody has entered this into some online ancestry databases as if it were fact).

She’s a snake, she says. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

well, different sands have different textures, and thus different friction profiles;
some sands don’t “stick” much, and can be lain upon with great comfort, whereas other sands clump easily and you might be better off sleeping on gravel.

As for the bag, well…it probably has special stitching to help it keep it’s shape.
Otherwise it’d always want to return to a vaguely cylindrical, squashed shape right?

2 Likes

OK. I was wrong. So many LuLz.

I echo the “sand is as hard as a sock to sleep on” sentiment. I’d be interested to know if this couple could blind-test the difference between this mattress (with the latex etc on top) and a shelf of granite.

At most, I expect the sand bags to create divots over time for their bodies, but I don’t think of this as an advantage, but instead way to build an uncomfortable lump in the middle where no one wants to have sex.

7 Likes

AKA as a fluidized bed. Also used as therapy beds. I wonder what it feels like!

1 Like

I’ve always thought the ultimate bed would be a waterbed filled with stiff gelatin.

Seems simple enough to try. Cheap waterbed, fill with water & geletin powder, into the fridge overnight until it sets…

Maybe someone else wants to try it?

3 Likes