Instructions for the Zero Gravity Toilet in 2001

Originally published at: Instructions for the Zero Gravity Toilet in 2001 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The person using that toilet after me.

8 Likes

A friend used to have this posted in his bathroom.

8 Likes

Zero gravity toilets suck.

10 Likes

more of a System A user myself.

Translation: “hold it in until we land.”

3 Likes

Seems simpler overall than the toilets in Japan.

1 Like

Have you ever stuck your finger in the path of an ultrasonic mister (close enough to feel its force)? Ouch!

Imagine a power surge during use…

Nice to see that Kubrick’s imagined instructions in the future are hopelessly verbose, out of sequence and useless to any non-English speaker.

The instructions weren’t really written to communicate useful information since the placard was just meant to be visible on screen long enough for the audience to get the main point, i.e. “using a toilet in zero-G is almost comically complicated!”

In real life a passenger spaceplane would probably just use pictograms. Like IKEA assembly instructions, but for pooping.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see the fancy toilets they put on the Mars-bound flights!
All shiny and chrome…

3 Likes

Aviators speak english.

Though it probably has much to do with the fact that artificial intelligences can dispense with waste management. Chim – err humans-- simply weren’t meant to travel into space.

Like a disclaimer nobody reads. But will have nightmares about genital mutilation from not reading it.

All graphite and glitter…

All that and I still don’t know how to use the three shells.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.