"Intellectually very high level": Watch Trump's hilarious attempt to understand Bitcoin

I was hoping he’d work in ‘cyber’ in there.

Like “The Cyber is opening up a whole new world of Bitcoin…it’s really great. People say I’m the best cyber businessman they’ve ever encountered…”.

7 Likes

He may try to do that, but he fails utterly - he’s just so, so bad at it. He’s got a limited vocabulary that he employs in the same way, regardless of subject, even when it’s not appropriate, to make it sound like he’s got a sophisticated understanding of the subjects, but the fact that he has this familiar, formulaic set of statements just demonstrates his total lack of knowledge. People always compare it to schoolchildren doing reports on books they haven’t read, and it really is about as sophisticated. Plus he does so completely incoherently.

15 Likes

Donald Trump once again proves he is a clever person’s idea of a stupid person.

10 Likes

I always liked writer David Gerard’s summary:

Bitcoin: It Can’t Be That Stupid, You Must Be Explaining It Wrong

26 Likes

Great, now I’m picturing memes with Trump as He-Man.

Pass me the brain bleach, please.

9 Likes

Obligs:

29 Likes

And China is soooooo ahead of us in buncoins.

11 Likes

There are Trump Rambo memes, so someone has probably done it.

4 Likes

I know the cryptocurrency industry has been pumping money into his campaign lately but I think journalists should definitely keep asking questions about it based in the level of word salad he has dribbled out so far. Can you imagine the utter nonsense he will come up with if people keep asking him crypto questions? Eventually someone will get the opportunity to ask him to describe a simple Alice and Bob public key exchange and maybe we’ll see what happens when waffling bullshit crashes against the boundaries of basic logical thought.

9 Likes

Just a reminder for most out there.

Cutting to the chase… yes.

(excerpt) The remark was first brought to light by attorney Frank DiPrima in an op-ed for the left-leaning site Daily Kos in October 2017:

Dr. Kelley taught marketing management to both undergraduate and graduate students at Wharton. Dr. Bill was one of my closest friends for 47 years when we lost him at 94 about six years ago. Bill would have been 100 this year.

Donald J. Trump was an undergraduate student at Wharton for the latter two of his college years, having been graduated in 1968.

Professor Kelley told me 100 times over three decades that “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had.” I remember his emphasis and inflection — it went like this — “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had.” Dr. Kelley told me this after Trump had become a celebrity but long before he was considered a political figure. Dr. Kelley often referred to Trump’s arrogance when he told of this — that Trump came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything.

Reminds me of a classmate in structural mechanics who said this to our prof during one session: “I already know this stuff. You can’t teach me anything.”
Prof: “Well, some people can learn… and others can’t.”
Got a nice gotcha howl from the rest of us.

24 Likes

The level of his understanding is about fourth grade book report. From a kid who didn’t read the book.

13 Likes

If you launch your buncoin now and hype it to the moon. Then you can do the rug pull when you move in a month and the ‘investors’ won’t be able to find you. /s

7 Likes

John Oliver’s definition of cryptocurrency as “the parts of money you don’t understand combined with the parts of computers you don’t understand” has long been a favorite of mine, but this might almost be better.

Speaking of not understanding, it’s gibberish like this that persuaded me that Trump is a deeply stupid man. The MAGA types who like to pretend he’s a polymath genius are deluding themselves and it’s embarrassing. When Trump presents his “brilliant” ideas on how to solve problems, they’re all at the intellectual level of That Loud Angry Guy at the End of the Bar. And when you ask him to explain something he claims to know, you get this: desperate waffling, like a student who hasn’t done the assigned book report, only even more incoherent. It’s transparently clear that he doesn’t understand whatever he’s been told and hasn’t even tried to.

I’ve always assumed that he was smarter when it came to his core competencies of real estate, money laundering and scamming people, but maybe not. Maybe his apparent permanent, desperate need for money is because he’s never been good at those either, and constantly gets rooked by people who are 10% smarter than he is.

I can, however, explain what he’s on about when he talks of “writing a little Bitcoin check” and wiping out the deficit. The crypto people at the conference he went to persuaded him that the US needed to establish a “strategic Bitcoin reserve”, by buying something like $70 billion worth of Bitcoin. Trump was all for it, perhaps because those nice people also promised to throw around $200 million to his campaign, some of which was bound to finish up in his own pockets by the usual self-dealing route.

For comparison, the US currently holds around $240 billion in foreign reserves and other financial goods, so this would be the equivalent of more than a quarter of that, in a single “currency”. It would also be a straight wealth transfer from the US government to the Very Rich People who own most of the Bitcoin, which is consistent with past Trump policy. The Very Rich People like it because not only do they get to exchange some of their fantasy football nerd play money for hard currency, but the value of their remaining holdings goes up, crypto acquires the look of legitimacy, and future US governments will be much more reluctant to risk depressing the value of crypto by imposing strong regulations. It’s win-win-win-win for them.

Anyway, the crypto folks told Trump that if he bought all that Bitcoin, then in just a few decades it would be worth more than half the national deficit. I forget how much one Bitcoin would need to be worth for that to be true – something close to a million bucks, I think. That raises the question of why, if Bitcoin is going to be so insanely valuable, the people pushing to unload their Bitcoin on the Treasury don’t just hang onto it themselves. Maybe they’re patriotic altruists.

Anyway, Trump turned that “half the deficit” into “all the deficit” in his own mind, probably thought Bitcoin would appreciate overnight (something not even the Bitcoiners dared claim), and fantasized about “writing a little check”. Naturally, he didn’t understand that even if it all played out as advertised, the US couldn’t and wouldn’t just unload tens of trillions of dollars worth of crypto onto the market.

So that’s what he had in mind, but as usual his attempt to express it is clouded by his own inarticulacy, and the fact that he has misunderstood everything important about it.

17 Likes

I would laugh if it wasn’t so freaking true.

C’mon Kamala!

10 Likes

First, he would wonder who Alice and Bob are. Hopefully he would do that out loud.

Second, he would wonder why you need to exchange (physical) keys. Maybe he would tell us how great he would be at collecting all those keys. Like Disney collector cups at McDonalds

He’s just such a tiresome, boorish idiot.

8 Likes

He’d probably pretend he knew them. “Why would Bob trust Alice? She’s such a nasty woman, they say.” Hallucinating word-salad babbling, accordion hands, invoking smarter relatives, sir stories, sliding into monologues about different topics, and finally, he’ll say that he already answered the question.

Just like all the other times. :smiley::cry:

11 Likes

The Trump Organization has a staff of professional real estate executives who probably try to stop him doing stupid stuff all the time but don’t always succeed. He would have had advice – or instructions – from his father until the early 1990s (Fred Trump was diagnosed with dementia in 1991).

9 Likes

I think he’d pretend to already knows them. “Oh, Alice and Bob? Yes, I remember them from some key parties in the ‘90s. We had the best key parties, the bigliest. Bob and Alice were always there. Great people.”

12 Likes

I think Douglas Adam’s description of the Ark B people declaring leaves to be their currency, and then enriching their value by burning down all the forests was a prescient description of the logic and sustainability of crypto.

20 Likes

Yes, exactly - and what makes it funnier is how consistent he is, and how he does this with everything, including subjects where even fourth graders would be giving him side-eye and asking, “really, you don’t know this?”

10 Likes