Interactive world map of lighthouses

No Beavertail Point, Point Judith, or other Narragansett Bay lighthouses. Too bad, they’re beautiful and still in operation, except for Plumb Beach, which they turned into a seabird rookery. I may or may not have snuck into said lighthouse late at night with some other students just to see what was in there. (Lots of dust, salt, and guano. Tons, literally, of guano, if you’re curious.)

1 Like

I saw a version of this with a legend but can’t figure out where, but it said

• the colors are the colors
  • the pulse rate and duty cycle matches that of the real lighthouse
  • the size of the circle corresponds to the visible range
1 Like

I think that’s the Bodie Island light.

My friend Lewis Fry Richardson says it has ∞ km of coastline

3 Likes

Shhhhhhh. @jerwin was trying to get lighthouse enthusiasts to watch the film. causing them to never want to see a lighthouse ever again.

FD: I LOVED the fim.

2 Likes

Slartibartfast really earned that design award, that’s for sure.

7 Likes

It doesn’t even show important lighthouses in the U.K.! There’s one at Start Point, in Devon, the second most southerly point in England, after The Lizard in Cornwall. I know Start Point lighthouse is there, not only have I seen it, I’ve been inside it, and it marks shoals and shingle banks within Start Bay, which can be challenging when the tides are on the run with strong winds.

3 Likes

Well!
Just how do you expect the indigenous Norwegian Blues to get such beautiful plumeage?

3 Likes

The map is missing several just in my neighborhood between Baltic and North Sea. Including some really important ones for the worlds busiest shipping lane.

1 Like

Properly functioning Lighthouses are important, unless you want free hot pants.

Get a new map, unless this is only light houses that are operational, but as some one who lived on the Wirral, in the UK the light house at New Brighton is not on this map, and nether is Leasowe lighthouse.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.