Interesting 1959 documentary on the art of gold beating

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/02/interesting-1959-documentary-o.html

6 Likes
5 Likes

Trivia. “Gold beater’s skin” was used to line the gasbags of zeppelins to keep the hydrogen in.

7 Likes

Then of course there’s the Trump method of gilding, in which you use some gold spray paint and call it good enough.

5 Likes

Fascinating. I kept thinking “certainly the days before OSHA /work safety standards.” I would imagine the 77 year old gentleman they talked about was well on his way to being quiet deaf.

4 Likes

What with those massive hammers a worker may occasionally endure an industrial accident. Hence the term “goldfinger”, which might sound extremely painful. OTOH, he loves only gold.

4 Likes

“…made from the intestines of an ox and the whole lot enclosed in bands of parchment and called a…”

A WHAT?? A WHAT? It sounds like they say, “Chh”. That isn’t a word. WTF is it called?

Also I have a friend who dabbles in gold leaf and it is pretty neat stuff.

As for lack of hearing protection:

“Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.”

“Wot did you say?”

This is why I invested in good hearing protection.

5 Likes

I’m beating my gold right now!

11 Likes

A bible or book, over here, I’m not certain about over there.

Gonna go take a pic of my beat-up stash right now.

Ironically, I found it in a pile of reading books being sold by-the-pound.

7 Likes

Well I certainly know of some people…I mean, politicians…who are in need of an artistic, gold standard beating.

4 Likes

Its interesting what you find in old books. I found a 100+ year old newspaper pages - complete with racist caricatures alerting people about sales. The book it was in wasn’t that old.

Also, shit was super cheap back then.

2 Likes

I wish I could get that guy to narrate my projects.

1 Like

Doesn’t that make it thinner and thinner? :thinking:

3 Likes

i love edible gold leaf. we used it as an accent on my parent’s 50th anniversary cake.

1 Like

You just need a lot of nasal resonance and a British accent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also that is quite a bit more hammering than I would have thought to make gold leaf.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4pzKvuEQM

2 Likes

I saw a Lonely Planet episode on Myanmar, and they still do it without machinery:

The bowl of water with the bamboo stick-thingy is the timer that tells them to rotate the book a quarter-turn.

1 Like

“Ah, time to visit BB – look, a video about skilled handcraft of precious metals! I’m sure there’s no possible way someone will make this into a Trump thread. Whoops, wrong as always!”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.