International Handball Federation tosses out bikini bottoms rule

Originally published at: International Handball Federation tosses out bikini bottoms rule | Boing Boing

10 Likes

A small bit of progress. I’m not sure why there needs to be uniform rules at all.

12 Likes

But… why? Is there some competitive advantage that loose, fitting knee-length shorts provide?

21 Likes

Obviously, otherwise the men would be wearing speedos. /s

12 Likes

I despair that a) this was even an issue in the first place, b) that it took this long to address it, given how manifestly sexist it was c) that the issue still isn’t completely resolved, as there remains a significant disparity between men’s and women’s outfits.

24 Likes

Now what in the hell do I do with all those bikini bottoms? I axe yous…

7 Likes

Find out what sports they actually do provide a competitive advantage!

3 Likes

That’s a mystery that will never be solved.

3 Likes

How about “just wear whatever the hell you want”?

3 Likes

7 Likes

Denizens of Bikini Bottom are slightly annoyed

5 Likes

To the best I can tell, track running events fit this. There isn’t any rules reason that the women have to run in high cut tight shorts and the team kits usually have half tights as an option but they seem to prefer the high cut shorts because they believe they provide a competitive advantage. It saves a couple grams and provides less resistance?

We haven’t seen men adopt them yet though.

3 Likes

You mean like the ones basketball players and boxers wear?

4 Likes

Beech Speedball is played on the same courts as beach volleyball. The rules codifier for beech handball clearly had that sport in mind.
And in beach volleyball,

Probably not appropriate for all beaches, though

3 Likes

You mean there’s a precedent, even!?!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.